Finishing pre-req after Bachelor's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiamiCane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm a pre-med third year nursing student. I completed Chem and Bio before I switched to the Nursing major and I plan on taking physics I and II over the summer. Thing is, I won't have organic done by the time I graduate (adding them on to the nursing classes next Fall and Spring will be suicide)- so my question is what are my options? I've looked into some post-bacc programs and some of them I can't even apply to because I have many of the pre-reqs and they wouldn't accept me. So what other options do I have? Would it be possible to take Orgo over the summer 2014 as a non-degree seeking student even though I would have already graduated in May 2014 with a Bachelors? Or should I postpone graduation until I finish Orgo (can I even do that?)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
I'm a pre-med third year nursing student. I completed Chem and Bio before I switched to the Nursing major and I plan on taking physics I and II over the summer. Thing is, I won't have organic done by the time I graduate (adding them on to the nursing classes next Fall and Spring will be suicide)- so my question is what are my options? I've looked into some post-bacc programs and some of them I can't even apply to because I have many of the pre-reqs and they wouldn't accept me. So what other options do I have? Would it be possible to take Orgo over the summer 2014 as a non-degree seeking student even though I would have already graduated in May 2014 with a Bachelors? Or should I postpone graduation until I finish Orgo (can I even do that?)

You should be able to take classes as a non degree seeking student. I'm not sure how that affects financial aid or anything like that, but there should be no reason you can't take the class.

Worst comes to worst you can always see if the schools you want to apply to would accept a class from UNE-COM online. They offer organic I and II and are a regionally accreditted med school. Again, it is the consensus here that that should be your last cohice, but it is an option so long as you check with the admissions offices where you want to apply.

I took orgo after my Bachelor's as a non degree-seeking student at a CC. Never once was it brought up as an issue during interviews. This was even after having done very poorly in the course when I took it as an undergraduate. Saved a good chunk o' change, too.
Disclaimer: I applied DO only.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Absolutely. I'm finishing up a 2-year unofficial post-bac. By that I mean, my school does not have a post-bac or premed program - I just entered in, chose a major and started.

Good luck

I will echo all of the previous posters and say go ahead and graduate and take orgo as a non-degree seeking student. A large chunk of us nontrads already have degrees and didn't take a lot of the prereqs until after we graduated. I can't speak as someone who's applied yet (May can't come soon enough) but I'm doing my prereqs at a CC and my ochem class is only $200 and I've been told it's not an issue as long as GPA and MCAT are competitive. I've known three or four attendings who took CC classes after graduation and it wasn't a problem. Others who have interviewed might be able to shed more light than myself though.

Thank you all for answering my questions, I was actually really worried- advisors at the Nursing school kept sending me to pre-med office and pre-med office said to talk to my advisors..

Thank you all for answering my questions, I was actually really worried- advisors at the Nursing school kept sending me to pre-med office and pre-med office said to talk to my advisors..

Does your school have a preheath committee? I'm surprised the premed office had you looking elsewhere. I'd talk to someone else in their department.

just FYI, it may be best for you to choose a major and matriculate as a degree-seeking major than as a student with an undeclared major. I forget why now, but financially it made better sense for me here in NY to have that. You don't have to finish your major or follow the plan for that typical major. Just take your courses and do your thing.