Finishing Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sofia-22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you prelims or those that have long moved on miss or think you'll miss medicine, specifically the ICU and all the action...I have a nagging feeling that I may, now that I'm pretty comfortable with the goings on in the unit...all the med school beat down and knowledge gathered simply to be forgotten in exchange for an entirely new and vast set of facts to learn...at times feels pretty daunting. I know this is an over exaggeration but I wonder if the thought whizzes by anyone else's mind. Any comments welcome...

Members don't see this ad.

I feel exactly the same. It was a very busy year, but I really enjoyed it.

don't let the knowledge go to waste! you will still manage DM2 and HTN for the RDs that come in. when managing uveitis you still have to remember how to look at CXRs and write for immune modulators. you'd be suprised how many other surgical subspecialties can't do these things and call med consult for every little thing. your thread does acknowledges one of the hardest things about ophthalmology residency; once you get comfortable with internship they throw you into another new environment and you have to start from the bottom again. in many ways, it's like doing two internships. but at the end it's well worth it!

Do any of you prelims or those that have long moved on miss or think you'll miss medicine, specifically the ICU and all the action...I have a nagging feeling that I may, now that I'm pretty comfortable with the goings on in the unit...all the med school beat down and knowledge gathered simply to be forgotten in exchange for an entirely new and vast set of facts to learn...at times feels pretty daunting. I know this is an over exaggeration but I wonder if the thought whizzes by anyone else's mind. Any comments welcome...

I agree with Sofia-22...and because of this I am thinking about doing one night or weekend a month of moonlighting during ophtho residency. Maybe I am crazy, but I think that continuing some work in a small town urgent care or ER once in a while would be a little fun plus I would make some extra cash! And the way my program does call next for PGY-2's I should still get 2 weekends a month to myself. I got good ER/trauma training along with my medicine in my transitional year so I feel pretty comfortable about doing this. Any thoughts from PGY-2 thru 4's???
Just a thought.
Peace