finishing prereqs before applying??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaboomafoo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was thinking about applying for the 2009 school year. I've been out of school since 2005, and have been raising kids since. I want to apply to Creighton distance based, and need two of the prereqs (econ/speech). Does anyone know if i can apply with my pcat scores, while completing the prereqs as i am applying?

Also, my undergraduate institution did not offer these classes online. Does anyone know of any accredited institutions that offer classes such as these online? I know they are out there, its just that spam like "earn your degree online" confuses me and i don't know where to start!!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, Creighton simply requires that all prereqs are completed by August and science prereqs earlier (June 1st I believe). So, if you get it done by the end of spring semester, then you should be good.

I know in my state the CC's offer a lot of courses online. Check those out. Definitely don't go to one of those random schools online. They might not be accredited and then you won't get credit for the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
omnione, do u mean august before starting or august before applying?:confused::oops:

You just have to have your pre-reqs done prior to matriculation. Yours are both non-science, so if it remains like it was this year, it would be by Aug. 1 of the year you enter (if you are shooting for 2009, 8/1/09). Not having those 2 pre-reqs should not stop you from applying early in the cycle for which you're interested - I think it is not uncommon for students to be missing some pre-reqs in the fall.

As for where to take them online, I would search for community colleges that offer them. It seems to me that CCs offer more courses online than universities do (just my experience), but when I took my few pre-reqs online at a CC, I still had to go to campus a few times for exams. So, just be sure to pick one that would be within driving distance! As long as the CC is accredited, it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck! :luck:

I'm sure econ can be taken online, but I doubt you can find an online speech class anywhere, since the whole idea of speech is to be able to speak publically convincingly and confidently.

I'm sure econ can be taken online, but I doubt you can find an online speech class anywhere, since the whole idea of speech is to be able to speak publically convincingly and confidently.

Actually, there are several schools that offer Speech on line, including Indiana U. Sometimes, the goal of a Speech class is to teach the varying types of public speaking/speeches (persuasive, etc), and to properly write a composition designed for public speaking.

omnione, do u mean august before starting or august before applying?:confused::oops:

August before starting Stephanie Jackson their admissions counselor told me this earlier this week.

So in other words if you want to start 2008, your prereqs must be done by Aug 08