finishing up undergrad, questions!

Started by sdles
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sdles

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I'm entering my senior year of undergrad, with an empty schedule, completed coursework in my Math and Economics majors, and no completed pre-reqs for med school.

I want to go to Medical School. I will be working on an Economics thesis next year, but other than that I have a wide open schedule.

Should I enroll in Chemistry and Physics for my senior year and finish up my other pre-reqs at a school closer to home?
Or should I wait until after graduation to start pre-reqs and do a dedicated post-bac program?

Thanks for your advice!
 
Whatever gets you the best grades, and best prepares you for the MCAT, and allows you to volunteer and do interesting extra-curriculars. There's no recipe.

If you have any interest in the Peace Corps or a similar institution, now's the time. Do a post-bac when you return.

Best of luck to you.
 
Don't know if finances are an issue to you, but if you continue to take the pre-reqs before you graduate with your undergrad, you are eligable for more financial aid. I'm not completely sure of all of the details, but it's just something to look into/consider before you make your decision.
 
Just posting an update:

After undergrad, I got a job working as a medical technician and doing medical research. Completed pre-reqs at night school over 3 years.

Got into medical school 3 years after undergraduate degree.

Completed Residency.

Currently a practicing attending.

It's very doable, keep your eye on the prize!