Firecracker over summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finishing M1 in a few weeks, wondering if you guys think its possible to bank and achieve mastery of all the M1 subjects in Firecracker in the span of 3 free months over the summer? Talking about embryo, anat, histo, physiology, biochem/genetics, behavioral science, statistics, micro (we had 1st year micro), immuno, neuro

Members don't see this ad.

Its definitely doable if you already have a good grasp of the material but it will be time consuming.

Last edited:
Finishing M1 in a few weeks, wondering if you guys think its possible to bank and achieve mastery of all the M1 subjects in Firecracker in the span of 3 free months over the summer? Talking about embryo, anat, histo, physiology, biochem/genetics, behavioral science, statistics, micro (we had 1st year micro), immuno, neuro
I think it is an excellent plan. I would also try to preview MS2 stuff. I heard the 2nd year is a beast, which is the reason I am paranoid right now LOL!

Thanks for the responses. Yeah summer between M1 and M2 seems like a good time to master Firecracker for those M1 classes. Just wanted to see if anyone else thought this was possible and how much time it might take, because there is a lot of info. I got the idea from this person: http://blog.firecracker.me/2013/12/10/how-this-firecracker-scored-a-270-on-usmle-step-1/ Seems like they picked up Firecracker right around spring and then reviewed it all summer and it really paid off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing the Firecracker along with Kaplan. So if I were to study ANS pharm, then I go to FC and do the Pharm "agents," in that way it's very effective. I choose all the topic in FC and then go to option to select the topics I want to go over. I find it very helpful. But it takes discipline too. It's definitely doable. We just gotta study crazy and study all the time, try to maximize our absorption ability whatever it takes!

Last edited:
You'd be looking at about 640 different topics to flag to cover those M1 topics. I suppose that's doable, especially in the beginning when you don't have a ton of cards to do on top of your flagging. It will be tough though and towards the end of the summer a good chunk of your day will probably be spent with FC. If you finished though it would make your life so much easier in M2 as far as FC not being a burden on your schedule while still flagging the new topics as they go along.

You'd be looking at about 640 different topics to flag to cover those M1 topics. I suppose that's doable, especially in the beginning when you don't have a ton of cards to do on top of your flagging.

Hmm that is more than I expected. I was hoping to have some time to allocate to looking back at references if a group of cards within a topic makes me feel like I need an in depth review. Hopefully there will be some allowance for this...