Firecracker?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CUNYguy

The City Kid
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I was wondering about Firecracker.me. Is it a good resource for the MCAT?
The structure of the resource is pretty well set up, but it is a bit pricey... Is it worth the investment? Or is TPR/Kaplan courses > Firecracker?

I can't find many reviews regarding the premed side.. All I hear is about the USMLE First Aid + Firecracker.me coupling, but not MCAT + Firecracker.me coupling.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Instead of full-on investing, you can try their 30 day free trial and see if you like the questions. I tried them and while I liked the interface, the questions were way too intense and detailed for the mcat. I think making your own cards on Anki would be a better way to go.

Firecracker is for long term retention. I'm guessing you're not studying long term (6+ months)

I self studied and it worked out well. A few of my friends took Kaplan and TPR. Those that took Kaplan liked it. Those that took TPR said the course was a waste of time (although the books are good).

Members don't see this ad :)
So it seems from my review of the old (2008) SDN post, that firecracker is a no-no for MCAT. And that firecracker for USMLE is a rip-off. Is that true?

I'm just trying to find an organized way of studying. I'm using SN2ed's guide, but I'm taking MCAT 2015. So I don't want to be behind.. I doubt there's a difference, maybe a 4-month program, other than a 3-month? Any guidance on a pre-organized schedule for studying?

Agreed. Firecracker is not a bad resource, but it's not an efficient use of your time. The MCAT is about recognition, and Firecracker - last time I checked - is not multiple choice and thus focuses more on retention, which, again, is not a good use of your time. Use TPR SW for practice - that's a much better bang for your buck - coupled with the free Khan questions. Good luck!

Just a couple things to add. Firecracker does offer an MCAT module that focused on topics and question styles for the 2015 MCAT - NOT the same as the USMLE/med student product - and it is free to try, so you can see if it works for you.