• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Fired from residency

Ice-1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Status (Visible)
A freaky thing happened this week. One day I hear from an attending that there is an emergency meeting (of attendings I guess) "about a resident." The next day alot of rumors but no real news. Then the next day all the residents get an email saying that a named resident is no longer with the program. No other details are given. The person named is not an intern. This is causing a great deal of confusion among the remaining people. Anyone been in a similar situation? How was it handled?

Wrigleyville

Fugitive Tech Consultant
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Chicago, IL
Status (Visible)
I have heard of contracts not being renewed at the end of a given year (the "friendly" way to fire residents who are merely incompetant), but only once have I heard of someone being outright ****canned in the middle of a year.

I'm pretty sure your behavior has to be criminal or close to it to be let go all of a sudden. What are the "rumors"?

About the Ads

Stimulate

10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Residency programs can indeed fire a resident "on the spot" if there is some sort of behavior that is very aggregious. However, all programs (at least ACGME) require that proper procedures be followed. That resident will have a right to appeal the decision, which in our institution goes to the Division Chair, and then after that it goes up to a board convened by the GME department.

Unfortunately the process, in my opinion, can be very biased against the resident. All of the people on these committees are colleagues and/or friends and it really puts the pressure on the resident to make their case for re-instatement.

Also, the rumors will be flying because the program will not be able to disclose what happened. You can approach the resident, especially if he/she is a friend, and ask what happened, but who knows if what they tell you is the truth or not.

f_w

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
The only times this execution style firing happens is in cases of (near) criminal misconduct e.g. fondling an unconscious patient in front of a surveillance camera.
Parking in the chairmans spot won't get you this royal treatment.

Bitsy3221

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2006
The Hub
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Stuff like this, although uncommon, do happen. When residents leave so quickly, as beyond all hope said, it is usually the choice of the resident. (Could include personal reasons, rehab, arrested, or that they were given notice of non-renewal of contract and they decided to walk out early rather than finish the year as a "lame duck"). Either that, or they did something egregious.

You are likely never going to find out the truth, although I'll be rumors will be abundant. I wouldn't bother asking the resident unless you were tight with this person to begin with--they are gone, and if it were you and some people you used to work with but were't close to started calling, would you want to air your dirty laundry knowing that it would just be spread around your old workplace? Just let it go.

3dtp

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
midcoast
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Residency programs can indeed fire a resident "on the spot" if there is some sort of behavior that is very aggregious. However, all programs (at least ACGME) require that proper procedures be followed. That resident will have a right to appeal the decision, which in our institution goes to the Division Chair, and then after that it goes up to a board convened by the GME department.

Unfortunately the process, in my opinion, can be very biased against the resident. All of the people on these committees are colleagues and/or friends and it really puts the pressure on the resident to make their case for re-instatement.

Also, the rumors will be flying because the program will not be able to disclose what happened. You can approach the resident, especially if he/she is a friend, and ask what happened, but who knows if what they tell you is the truth or not.

See this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=241997

What is interesting is the OP criticized the program. Then after doing so on this forum deleted his criticism sometime later. In his warning the OP's original message quoted below in another's response said the program fired 4 residents. Another poster pointed out that this was a pattern with that hospital system. I hope he didn't get the ax, too. If he didn't, I'm sure his life was living hell for the balance of his time in the malignant program.

There are highly malignant programs out there. They may be far between, but they do exist. The ACGME does indeed require that a procedure be followed, but the cronyism factor is on the side of the hospital. Also, these procedures can be altered, abreviated or short circuited or given lip service to create a paper trail. If a resident is fired, it will strike terror into the hearts of the remaining residents who will then do anything and everything to keep out of the gunsights, especially if the fired resident wasn't blatently problematic. And, the ACGME will not intervene on behalf of an resident. Even if major rules, policies or procedures were violated.

Staying away from evil programs means finding out about them in advance, and this is not always easy or obvious. Avoid any programs where the checks and balances that Stimulate identified don't exist. Again the question is how do you know they are effective and will be used?

tibor75

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
there was a resident (intern actually) fired from our program a few years ago. he was really bad. There was never an official email sent though. He just disappeared and the word of mouth trickled through. I do a google search on him every now and then to see what he's up to. He's an internist in Michigan.

f_w

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
Firing someone for incompetence (I am sorry, poor academic performance) is a long and drawn out process. The sudden firing described here sounds more like an allegation of serious misconduct occured.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.