Firefighter/Paramedic to start prerequisite courses following graduation in the spring.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paramagictodoc

Reaction score
Hello all,

This will be my first post, and will likely be followed by a few more throughout the next couple of years. I have been a career firefighter/paramedic in the state of Texas for approximately 4.5 years now. While in paramedic school, I developed an ever increasing love for medicine, especially while preforming my ER clinicals. After I had completed paramedic school, I ventured into paramedic to RN bridge programs, but ultimately decided that becoming an RN was not enough for me, as I feel as though I have much more freedom in terms of treatment in my current profession. I began diligently researching application requirements for medical school. I figured this was a long shot, but I truly believe that this is something that I am capable of. After months of researching the best way for me to fulfill these requirements, I ended up deciding that a premed degree plan was not ideal for my current situation. (I am a full time firefighter, married, and have two young boys.) I discovered a resource that would allow me to complete an online BAAS with a focus of business management at literally no charge to me, except for my time. I will graduate in May, 2021, at which point I plan to begin my medical school prerequisite courses.

I have read many posts on this site, as well as many medical school websites, which all state that online prerequisites are an application killer. (if you can even find them) I also feel as though that traditional in class prerequisite courses may also credit me a few extra brownie points since half of my courses from my BAAS will have been online. (many of my core classes came from my younger years while still enrolled in traditional courses.)

My question is; has anybody, especially those in my trade, tried to balance traditional medical school prerequisite courses on top of full time employment? If so, how did you do it? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.