first aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabroof

sabroof
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have first aid for wards - shoudl i get first aid for step 2 as well? i already have crush. i always have this problem of buying every book and going into resource overload and not gettting through one book thoroughly! help!

:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

sabroof said:
i have first aid for wards - shoudl i get first aid for step 2 as well? i already have crush. i always have this problem of buying every book and going into resource overload and not gettting through one book thoroughly! help!

:eek:

the consensus has been crush and since u already own it, i would suggest just sticking with it. also consider boards and wards

I'm reading secrets (which is basically the same as Crush, but different format, both written by Brochert). Some of the sections are nice, but others (Peds, Psych, OB/GYN) aren't so good and I turned to First Aid for those sections and it was MUCH (I repeat MUCH!) better than Secrets. I wanted to focus on Secrets since it's a quicker read and easier to master (leaving more time for questions), but it has some sections that blow, in which case First Aid comes in handy. There's a new edition of First Aid (copyright 2006), which is about 350 pages of reading and $40-45 brand new. It's hard to consider money spent on FA a waste, so I'd recommend buying it anyway. Good luck!

What is the most recent edition of crush? i see a 2000 and 2002. why has it been 4 years since a new edition? or is there one that I'm not seeing?
thanks.
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked amazon and it seems as though the most current edition of Crush is from 2002 and the most current edition of Secrets is from 2004. I was doing some more reading today from Secrets and First Aid and, the more I read from Secrets, the more glad I become that I have First Aid handy as well!

manning18 said:
I just checked amazon and it seems as though the most current edition of Crush is from 2002 and the most current edition of Secrets is from 2004. I was doing some more reading today from Secrets and First Aid and, the more I read from Secrets, the more glad I become that I have First Aid handy as well!

First Aid 2006 edition rules!

First Aid, 2006 is excellent. The original plan was to focus on FA. However, I became a bit lazy, so I thought Secrets would take me to the promised land. Then, I started reading Secrets and realized that much of it blows, so for many (but not all) sections I went back to FA, 2006! Secrets is horrible in some major sections: OB/GYN, Peds and Psych, to name a few!

I have First Aid for the Wards, and I just recently bought First Aid for Step 2 CK. I regret that decision. Both books have a lot of the same information in the same format. I think First Aid for Step 2 has a tiny bit more info, so I'll probably end up selling First Aid for the Wards. I think most use Crush and Boards and Wards for the majority of studying and other books like First Aid for backup.

I have the previous edition of FA, any major differences to the new one? anyone thinks it worth it to get the new edition when i already have the previous edition?

The newer edition of FA is actually shorter than the previous edition, which is nice! I haven't gone through and determined what's been revamped/deleted/added. I'd imagine they're largely the same. However, FA tends to revise its editions based on student feedback. I've said before that it's hard to consider a new edition of FA as a bad investment or waste of money. I would recommend the new one. After your test, you can always sell it for $10-20 and get back some of the cost ($40-45). Go for it!