First CDP Test + CDP Error!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2PacClone23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took CDP test 1 and got a 20.

I'm pretty glad since I really didn't "study", and I got a 19 on the real thing (I'm retaking it and I took it at 12AM). Plus I made like 3-4 stupid mistakes.

But the part that REALLY pisses me off are the apparent mistakes in CDP. This is just one of the few I've noticed.

Yeah, I said it; check this out:

cimg0188.jpg

In this problem's case (#90 on CDP#1), both A and B can be true, yet CDP says the answer is A. Of course, the way I folded it ended up looking like 'B' so I chose B.

Is this just me or am I totally missing something here?? :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, if u look closely at B, it the L-shape white can't face that way and have the shaded black portion on the top it has to be on the bottom. So its not a mistake, your just sleepy :)

So I just took CDP test 1 and got a 20.

I'm pretty glad since I really didn't "study", and I got a 19 on the real thing (I'm retaking it and I took it at 12AM). Plus I made like 3-4 stupid mistakes.

But the part that REALLY pisses me off are the apparent mistakes in CDP. This is just one of the few I've noticed.

Yeah, I said it; check this out:

cimg0188.jpg

In this problem's case (#90 on CDP#1), both A and B can be true, yet CDP says the answer is A. Of course, the way I folded it ended up looking like 'B' so I chose B.

Is this just me or am I totally missing something here?? :mad:

Just looking at A and B, there is a difference between the bottom square. A has a black square, B has a white one. Just look closer

Silveryhair's right! When you look at the answers, there's always one or two that are pointing the wrong way!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, I just posted this on the "Wicked PAT Guide" forum yesterday or the day before... It got me too :p

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528643&page=8

Basically, when you fold it up... if the object is pointing right, then the front side should be shaded, not white... for this image to be correct, the object would have to be pointing left for the white part to be in front

Last edited:
No man, B can be an answer. Just imagine if the unfolded was sitting in front of you. You put the palm of your hands under the picture and folded upward.

B can be the answer too!!!

No man, B can be an answer. Just imagine if the unfolded was sitting in front of you. You put the palm of your hands under the picture and folded upward.

B can be the answer too!!!

you can't fold upward. That's why B is wrong.

What do you mean you can't fold upward? You can fold it anyway you want to as long as everything matches!

You're supposed to imagine literally that this is a piece of paper you have one-sidedly printed and cut out. When you fold upward, what do you get? nothing, because the way you've folded it makes the bottom, unprinted side of the paper the outside. There's nothing on it. No black, just white. The only way to get B is if you fold it this way, with the bottom now on the visible side and the painted/printed side hidden on the inside of the shape. This is incorrect, since there is nothing printed on the underside. A is the only shape you can get when you fold it correctly. The only way you're supposed to fold is into the page, which keeps the printed side on the outside.

You're supposed to imagine literally that this is a piece of paper you have one-sidedly printed and cut out. When you fold upward, what do you get? nothing, because the way you've folded it makes the bottom, unprinted side of the paper the outside. There's nothing on it. No black, just white. The only way to get B is if you fold it this way, with the bottom now on the visible side and the painted/printed side hidden on the inside of the shape. This is incorrect, since there is nothing printed on the underside. A is the only shape you can get when you fold it correctly. The only way you're supposed to fold is into the page, which keeps the printed side on the outside.

I guess this makes sense but a lot of other problems worked when I folded it upward. If what you say is true and I can't fold upward, then that's a huge revelation for me. Never thought you couldn't, although what you say does make sense but the printing not being visible. When I tried doing it myself and cut out a piece of paper, that's exactly what happened but I still thought it'd be okay.

I guess this makes sense but a lot of other problems worked when I folded it upward. If what you say is true and I can't fold upward, then that's a huge revelation for me. Never thought you couldn't, although what you say does make sense but the printing not being visible. When I tried doing it myself and cut out a piece of paper, that's exactly what happened but I still thought it'd be okay.

Yeah, it's kind of dumb the ADA doesn't bother to explicitly say this. They seem to just assume you know you're supposed to imagine it that way. Once you keep this in mind, it'll really help your speed and accuracy because you can learn to recognize and automatically eliminate those answers.

Well B can be the answer if you fold it the way I'm sure 99% of people imagine it, which is upwards.

Which is wrong, and is the reason why 99% of people do not get 30s on the PAT ;)

You cannot assume that the underneath of the shaded rectangle is shaded as well.. For the answer to be right, it MUST be directly supported (otherwise it wouldn't appear on the standardized test)

Regardless if you fold it towards you or into the page, you don't get the right answer. If you fold it towards the page, you won't get the right picture. If you fold it towards you, you will get B, but it will be upside down so either way you fold it, you won't get the right answer. Method is to fold towards the page because if you fold it towards you, you will be closing the shape in on itself, like looking at the insides of something.

Regardless if you fold it towards you or into the page, you don't get the right answer. If you fold it towards the page, you won't get the right picture. If you fold it towards you, you will get B, but it will be upside down so either way you fold it, you won't get the right answer. Method is to fold towards the page because if you fold it towards you, you will be closing the shape in on itself, like looking at the insides of something.

Yeah thanks for the clarification. It's just weird to me. Never heard of this before.

Yeah thanks for the clarification. It's just weird to me. Never heard of this before.
I explain the same only-fold-in thing on nearly every pattern-folding thread on this board. It's astounding how many people keep asking =/

When I first started taking practice PAT tests, I also made the same mistake of thinking I could fold in either direction. Turns out, I learned from Kaplan and CDP that pattern folding only folds into the page. Prior to that, I was averaging 19-20s. Afterwards, 22-25s. I suggest you start now and practice with the rest of the CDPs (esp if pattern folding is one of your weaknesses). GL