First DAT Attempt EVER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

komradrobot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you guys do the first time you ever took a DAT practice exam? I just took the bio and pat sections totally cold turkey in the kaplan book.

Scored a 14 on the BIO and a 18 on the PAT

:laugh:

Will take the rest as soon as I have time...

Members don't see this ad.

16Bio, 17-18 in chems, 15RC, about 24QR, 19PAT when i first started studying
just gotta keep at it, you'll improve.
good luck

got my butt hammered on my first practice DAT after a month of just reading the kaplan book. i have all my practice test scores posted on my breakdown below. keep on lighting up those practice tests and it'll come roboto - just make sure you know what you're getting wrong and put some extra sandbags where you think the weak spots are, yadadamean?

Took the kaplan diagnostic cold. Got 25PAT, 19TS, and 19AA. This first test helped me realize the sizable work that I needed to put in for QR and GC especially (18QR and 18GC). Don't be discouraged by your early practice scores. Just make sure you address your weaknesses early.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow 25 is a really good first time pat. i thought the keyhole part was really hard.
also, i never learned about half of the material that is on the bio section so i will have a lot of independent learning to do :)

Took the kaplan diagnostic cold. Got 25PAT, 19TS, and 19AA. This first test helped me realize the sizable work that I needed to put in for QR and GC especially (18QR and 18GC). Don't be discouraged by your early practice scores. Just make sure you address your weaknesses early.

whoa! kaplan diagnostic i was in like 11-16's, lol!

wow 25 is a really good first time pat. i thought the keyhole part was really hard.
also, i never learned about half of the material that is on the bio section so i will have a lot of independent learning to do :)

It's not too impressive.. The PAT on the kap diag was a shortened version. I think it was only about 25 questions long. So I definitely just got lucky on that section.

In my opinion, you should try to get as much background studying in bio out of the way as you can. Use the Kaplan book, wikipedia (and/or a textbook) and hit all the major concepts. After you get that background, you can start taking serious practice tests. That's when my studying efforts really took off.

Last edited:
That's definitely a good start especially cold turkey. I took the DAT last summer and I also took Kaplan to prepare for it and let me tell you that the Kaplan tests (especially the PAT section) is not nearly as difficult as the actual DAT itself.

19 AA on the diag is really good. The highest I have ever had any one of my students (~200) score is 18. That is prolly why you also got a 25 on the real thing!

Most students score around 13-15 on the diag. PAT is not nearly as accurate as the other sections are at predicting your score (at least for diag).

for me personally... I never took any diagnostic test or anything for one good reason, the questions from kaplan / topscore or whatever are not representitive like the real DAT... However, they are great studying tools, meaning, after you miss a question, read the explanation and try to figure it out for urself, great for learning and strengthening weak areas

as matter of fact, I never took any practice tests (the way theyr supposed to be taken - ya know sitting down for 5 hours taking 1 darn test), I insteat only took the 3 topscore exams on the sciences ONLY UNTIMED lol and the barrons CD which comes with barrons 2nd edition DAT book.

Let me tell you, NONE of the biology from those tests was ANYTHING like the biology on my DAT, thats why I say those mockup exams aren't representitive. However, I will say one good thing about them, those mockup exams, are GREAT tool to build up your testing endurance (ability to sit down and take a 4-5 hour exam without getting too tired)..... This is probeblly why I got an 18 on QR when I have a minors in MATH from my initial undergrad.

Now that I am finally done with the DAT (and never have to look at it again lol) If there is one thing I would do differently, it would be to take more mockup exams, not because I wanna see how I am going to do, but rather to build up a good testing endurance

By the way, when I did those untimed topscore tests, here is what I got
BIOLOGY: 21 / 21 / 19
GC: 18/19/19
OC 18/19/ got too lazy on 3rd and didn't do it

On the 2 Barrons, I got
BIOLOGY: 21/21
GC: 18/18
OC 19/20

On the real DAT, I got
BIOLOGY: 21
GC: 24
OC 21