First generation college grad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheeseIsLife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am an only child (no brothers/sisters), and my parents did not attend college or receive a college degree. By AMCAS's strict definition, I am a first-gen college grad and an EO-1 SES disadvantaged applicant.

However, most of the people in my parents' families have attended college, including my grandparents. When I attended college, my own parents did not have much clear guidance to give me, and they really didn't understand how college "works". However, I didn't feel like a first-generation college student, because I was expected to go to college, and doing so wasn't unusual for my family.

On one of the secondary applications (Michigan) the question is asked: "Is your generation the first in your family to earn a bachelor's degree?" I want to answer NO, because I consider my family to include everyone up to my grandparents and even great grandparents. Would this be correct?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am an only child (no brothers/sisters), and my parents did not attend college or receive a college degree. By AMCAS's strict definition, I am a first-gen college grad and an EO-1 SES disadvantaged applicant.

However, most of the people in my parents' families have attended college, including my grandparents. When I attended college, my own parents did not have much clear guidance to give me, and they really didn't understand how college "works". However, I didn't feel like a first-generation college student, because I was expected to go to college, and doing so wasn't unusual for my family.

On one of the secondary applications (Michigan) the question is asked: "Is your generation the first in your family to earn a bachelor's degree?" I want to answer NO, because I consider my family to include everyone up to my grandparents and even great grandparents. Would this be correct?
You are correct.

Reactions: 1 user