First Generation College/professional school applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeeney

Ross SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering who, on here, are the first in their families to have gone to college and to pursue graduate school? *whether it be med/vet/masters***(posted it here bcuz i was too lazy to venture out to the general forums to ask*** but i'll start with myself, i am the first in my entire family to have gone to hs + college and now trying to attempt graduate school

Members don't see this ad.

Same here. First in my family to go to college and definitely first to pursue anything beyond.

Members don't see this ad :)
First to go to college and definitely first to go to a graduate school. Thats what you get when your a first generation american.

First to go to college and definitely first to go to a graduate school. Thats what you get when your a first generation american.

i feel ya on that..

First to go to graduate school. My mother got a Bachelor's in her forties.

1st to go to college at all, and then grad school. I asked my dad what he thought about me going to vet school when I was in undergrad, and he bascially said he'd disown me. That sidetracked me for about 10 years, but I'm not giving up.....jerk :)

I am the first in my immediate family to go to college and on to professional school. My grandfather's brother went to Med school (he was always pushing me to go pre-med). My grandpa started school but had to drop out. So in his line, I am the first.

First to go to college at all, let alone a BS and grad school

~Melissa

I'll be the first to get a BS in my immediate family (unless my little sister finishes before I do). Have two aunts with associates degrees, my dad didn't go to college, and my mom went for about a year before having to drop out due to being a single working mom. My grandmother's brother-in-law was actually a vet, but I only met him once when I was about 8 years old (though even then I remember trying to read some textbooks he had written:) ). As far as I know he's the only relative I've had with any advanced degree.

Has it been difficult for you guys being first-generation college students? In my case, I think it definitely had something to do with why I'm now a non-trad student. I didn't have anyone to help and/or convince me to get into a university, so I just went to community college for awhile before dropping out to work. Anyway, it's all worked out for the best now, & I'm proud to be a non-trad, first-gen, pre-vet student!:laugh:

I am the first in my immediate family to make it to college - both my parents only finished high school. My mom is so proud though, she has basically called everyone we ever knew to tell them that I got in...slightly embarrassing, but I love her! :)

My mother's family came over on the Mayflower, and my father's at the turn of the 20th century. But, I'm the first to go to college. My dad didn't even finish high school. I now have two bachelors and three interviews for grad school! I think it has been a matter of priorities and luck!

1st to go to college at all, and then grad school. I asked my dad what he thought about me going to vet school when I was in undergrad, and he bascially said he'd disown me. That sidetracked me for about 10 years, but I'm not giving up.....jerk :)

You're not alone.

If my mother asks me one more time if I'm sure I really want to go to vet school, I'm going to disown her. :mad:

My mom always said you have to be "really smart" to be a vet. I guess she didn't feel I was! I'm glad I stopped listening to her. Too bad it wasn't until several years ago. But, at least I'm making up for lost time now!

I was the first in my immediate family to graduate with a bachelor's degree. I'm also the first to get two bachelor's degrees. And I've been accepted into a PhD program at Wisconsin's vet school (still waiting on Davis's Genetics program though) so that will make me the first to go to grad school as well. :oops:

The first in my family to go to college complete a bachelor's degree and go on to get a master's degree (unless you count people coming into the family by marriage). Anyway, not a whole lot of emphasis on academics in my family because it wasn't generally financially feasible (bunch of blue-collar workers). My father doesn't quite understand my drive to go to school, his focus is to make more money.

I'll be the first in my immediate family to get a BS. My mom went to a JC for 2 years and my dad was at University of New Mexico on a wrestling scholarship for 1 year before I was born. I guess they just didn't have the opportunities they've afforded me. I can't believe how many of us there are out there! Yay for first generation college students going to grad school :clap: !