first generation college student question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmoini

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a pharm school app question:

Are you a first generation college student?

My mom graduated from a foreign university, nothing beyond that.
my dad dropped out of college after 5-7 years of flunking.

my mom has never used her degree nor had it recognized on job applications, etc.

am i a first gen college student?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
this is a gray area, but I would say you are. The purpose of this question has more to do with whether or not you came from a disadvantaged background than anything else.

I would disagree and say you aren't a first generation college student. If your Mom received a degree then she went to college, whether it be in this country or not, that makes you a second gen college student...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say no. Your mom went to a university.

this is a gray area, but I would say you are. The purpose of this question has more to do with whether or not you came from a disadvantaged background than anything else.

I don't think it has anything to do with being disadvantaged. I think its exactly what it says, First generation in college. I have that status and have won scholarships for it, but I was far from disadvantaged. I grew up in a Pleaseantville-like upper middle class neighborhood, went to a ritzy private school, etc...

Yes being international does not mean your parents ( mother i this case) did not graduate. It would be like someone with a father who is a doctor in england, then come and say they are first gen. Just because she is not using her degree does not mean she does not have one.