first generation college student question

Started by jmoini
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jmoini

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
a pharm school app question:

Are you a first generation college student?

My mom graduated from a foreign university, nothing beyond that.
my dad dropped out of college after 5-7 years of flunking.

my mom has never used her degree nor had it recognized on job applications, etc.

am i a first gen college student?
 
Last edited:
this is a gray area, but I would say you are. The purpose of this question has more to do with whether or not you came from a disadvantaged background than anything else.
 
I would disagree and say you aren't a first generation college student. If your Mom received a degree then she went to college, whether it be in this country or not, that makes you a second gen college student...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this is a gray area, but I would say you are. The purpose of this question has more to do with whether or not you came from a disadvantaged background than anything else.

I don't think it has anything to do with being disadvantaged. I think its exactly what it says, First generation in college. I have that status and have won scholarships for it, but I was far from disadvantaged. I grew up in a Pleaseantville-like upper middle class neighborhood, went to a ritzy private school, etc...
 
Yes being international does not mean your parents ( mother i this case) did not graduate. It would be like someone with a father who is a doctor in england, then come and say they are first gen. Just because she is not using her degree does not mean she does not have one.