First Generation Student?

Started by mthncars
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mthncars

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

My mother =no college. My father= got associates. I have seen many conflicting definitions. Some state, "no parent in the household has a bachelor’s degree," and some state, "no education after high school." I will be the first one in my family to get a Bachelor's degree.
 
Last edited:
The AMCAS definition for "first generation college student" is "applicants whose parents have not earned an associate’s degree or higher." Here is a table from the 2019 AMCAS application instructions:

266081


Is this also the case for AACOMAS? Well, the exact statement on the AACOMAS application is:

266082


A community college is a type of college. If your father attended community college, then he attended college. Therefore, I don't think you would qualify as a first generation college student.