First In My Immediate Family?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

afterall247

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys I'm new to this fourm and had a question!

I'm applying to college and can upon this question about being the first in my immediate family to go to college.

My father went to college for a year and a half or less and dropped out. Also I havent talked to him for three years now.

So then could I answer yes, I am the first because he didnt graduate and I havent had any contact with him in three years?

Thanks
 
Yes, you can check the box stating that you will be the first in the family to receive a college degree - since he has not successfully completed an undergraduate study.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is there much benefit to being first generation?

I am the first person in my family to even receive a high school degree.
 
There are some scholarships. Also, sometimes schools offer special programs for first-generation students.