First Optometry job interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye.believe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some advice on what to expect during a job interview as a new grad optometrist. What type of questions would they ask? Will I have to perform a mock eye exam so they can see my skills? What should I look out for when going over the contract?

Would love to hear your personal experience as well! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a new grad as well and I've had a few interviews. They were ALL very very chill. I used to work for retail and those interviews were much more intense! The most difficult part is getting that interview (especially as a new grad without experience). I have interviewed with 2 private practices and a corporate position so I cannot tell you how an interview with an OMD practice, VA, or Kaiser is like (I would assume they would be more picky). The interview is basically a conversation with the owner to see if there is reporte and to get a "feel" of your personality to see if its a good fit with the office. I almost felt like they were selling me on the position. So i guess its great that we went through all of this blood, sweat, and tears of school and boards to have a relatively easy time getting employment (youve already proved yourself with those exams).

As for the contract, definitely make sure to go over the contract. I had one potential employer that had some wacky terms. I would definitely take the time to read over the contract, especially when it comes to pay, non-compete clauses, and time required for notices (like quitting or time off) and other terms that may affect your pay, ability to practice elsewhere, or terms that require extra work on your end.

Reactions: 1 user