-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
First PCAT You Took
Started by tudyloops
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
How did most of you do on the first time you took the PCAT? Honestly. How much did you bring your scores up from one time to the next and what did you do different? Thanks! Please be honest about your scores.
Well I just took them in October and am currently wrapping up my first semester of gen chem and i didnt study. Needless to say my score reflected that and I got a 55th percentile. Long story on why I took it w/o ochem or preparing. So ya looking forward to doing much better next october.
The October 2006 test was the first time I've ever taken it.
Verbal - 406 (62%)
Biology - 443 (95%)
Reading - 447 (97%)
Quant - 430 (89%)
Chemistry - 431 (89%)
Composite - 431 (93%)
Writing - 4
And I'm not going to take it again. So it's not impossible to do well the 1st time.
Verbal - 406 (62%)
Biology - 443 (95%)
Reading - 447 (97%)
Quant - 430 (89%)
Chemistry - 431 (89%)
Composite - 431 (93%)
Writing - 4
And I'm not going to take it again. So it's not impossible to do well the 1st time.
First time, 87th composite.
Second time, 91st composite.
I think taking the classes that are covered on the exam is paramount, or learning the material that is covered in those classes on your own. Then, working on timing and endurance for the real exam so you make sure you get to answer each question.
Second time, 91st composite.
I think taking the classes that are covered on the exam is paramount, or learning the material that is covered in those classes on your own. Then, working on timing and endurance for the real exam so you make sure you get to answer each question.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the test for a no score option first. I highly recomend that b/c it gives you an idea of whats on it. Even if you never know how you did you can guage yourself. Plus for the real thing you'll be more relaxed knowing whats coming. My first time taking it for an actual score.......85th percentile.
I took it for the first time and I got a composite of 96. I'm not a verbal/reading comp person, so I had to make up for that with the other three sections. I think it helps that I'm a math person and engineering major (so I did really well on that section), I got my degree in May (so I took ochem, molecular biology, biochem, etc), and that I'm currently taking anatomy/physiology from a difficult (yet very good) professor. And I got a 3 on the writing, but I don't care because I didn't expect anything better 😛 .
Wow, I wish I could have done as good as any of you on any three of my tests! Man I feel really stupid now. First time I took the test I made a 63. However, I didn't study and prepare near as good as I should have.
First time I took the test (June '06), I got about an 83%
Second time (Oct '06) I got a 97%
The first time, I studied very hard with the Kaplan 2006-2007 PCAT book and the review book made by the Cliffsnotes people. I just took many practice tests and looked over info.
The second time, I had already completed the gen chem classes, and was/am (exams are coming up) taking the following classes: anatomy & physiology, organic chem I and analytical chemistry.
I can't tell you how much being in some chem and bio classes really helped. I didn't study that hard the 2nd time..I felt more comfortable with the format of the test and the timing and etc.
Second time (Oct '06) I got a 97%
The first time, I studied very hard with the Kaplan 2006-2007 PCAT book and the review book made by the Cliffsnotes people. I just took many practice tests and looked over info.
The second time, I had already completed the gen chem classes, and was/am (exams are coming up) taking the following classes: anatomy & physiology, organic chem I and analytical chemistry.
I can't tell you how much being in some chem and bio classes really helped. I didn't study that hard the 2nd time..I felt more comfortable with the format of the test and the timing and etc.
I definitely think that having taken Organic Chemistry and Anatomy/Physio helped a lot on this test (for the science sections). The organic chemistry on the PCAT wasn't super specific as the MCAT, but you still had to know what the product would be and such. It definitely helps to have taken at least ochem, ana/phy and, if you can, biochem beforehand. Don't ask me about verbal though =P I personally think that's something you can't really study for or that you're either good at or not (and I'm definitely not good at that).
This was my first PCAT
Verbal 74
Biology 95
Reading comprehension 62
Qualitative 79
Chemistry 93
Composite 89
Writing 3
I am very happy with the result. I kind of thought that Math is going to be my lowest score, because I had to guess on many of those questions, and there was a lot of calculus. But I did OK. Reading score is a bit low-passages were long, and proctor forgot to tell us when 20 min is going to be left like she promised. I lost track of time and had to rush and guess at the end.
Chemistry and Biology were easy for me.
Verbal 74
Biology 95
Reading comprehension 62
Qualitative 79
Chemistry 93
Composite 89
Writing 3
I am very happy with the result. I kind of thought that Math is going to be my lowest score, because I had to guess on many of those questions, and there was a lot of calculus. But I did OK. Reading score is a bit low-passages were long, and proctor forgot to tell us when 20 min is going to be left like she promised. I lost track of time and had to rush and guess at the end.
Chemistry and Biology were easy for me.
first time
verbal: 403 56%
biol: 443 95%
reading: 413 70%
math: 468 99%
chem: 522 99%
composite: 450 99%
writing: 2
verbal: 403 56%
biol: 443 95%
reading: 413 70%
math: 468 99%
chem: 522 99%
composite: 450 99%
writing: 2
First time Oct '06
Verbal 92
Biology 86
Reading Comprehension 99
Quantitative Ability 96
Chemistry 97
Composite 99
If you just put the work in, study, and are pretty good with time management on tests, you will do well.
Verbal 92
Biology 86
Reading Comprehension 99
Quantitative Ability 96
Chemistry 97
Composite 99
If you just put the work in, study, and are pretty good with time management on tests, you will do well.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 9K