First Post, How am I doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redline1089

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
First time on here. My goal is to one day be a pediatrician and I am currently a sophomore in my second semester.

Last year I did horrible and had an overall 3.02 gpa with a C+ gen chem, A lab, c- Gen chem II, B lab, b- intro to bio 1 & 2 and a b+ in honors calc. Last semester I got a 3.7, worked hard and got an A in organic I, A lab, b+ genetics and now I am probably going to get an A- in cell bio, A in Organic and Lab and I am also retaking Gen Chem II currently. Retaking Gen Chem has been the killer this semester and will retaking it and getting a b/b+ hurt my chances even if I have a strong Junior year?

Also, I have 30 hrs shadowing experience, research with two professors not for credit, Biology society, Slavic Club and I may have an internship with a pharmaceutical company in the summer.

THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

its okay to not do research for credit. what is important is that you're learning something meaningful at the lab and that its leading somewhere i.e. it's eventually going to lead up to you doing a presentation, getting published, or getting your own project. otherwise, if you're just doing menial grunt work, then I would look for another lab or talk to your professor. usually this means a 1-2 year long commitment with 10+ hours/week or a summer research internship.

i would also recommend volunteering somewhere in the healthcare setting regularly like a hospital for 4 hours/week for at least a year to get clinical experience.

with regards to your regards, the best thing you can do is maintain a high GPA from here on out. Medical schools will be more forgiving if you can demonstrate an upward trend.

Redeeming the C- in Gen Chem II with a B or B- will be fine. As long as your overall GPA is competitive by the time you apply, you'll be given full consideration. Adcomms like to see a rising grade trend.

You'd need to get your clinical experience started soon so you can demonstrate some longevity in testing medicine as a vocation (I suggest 1.5 years, with a year as the minimum). You've made a start in the physician shadowing, and will hopefully at least double the hours you have so far, splitting the rest between ~2 other specialties. It's great that you've already got the research going. Also strategize to get in some leadership, teaching, and/or some nonmedical community service.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh okay sounds good, I do community service with my local baseball organization and have put in well over 200+ hours of community service and I also volunteer with coaching younger kids. If I do not get the internship, I will have off Mondays and Tuesdays.

Would you suggest shadowing or volunteer for those days throughout the summer? I can't do clinical work during the school year because I go to Seton Hall and we are not allowed to have cars until Sr. Year :(

If you do get the internship, surely you can find 3 hours a week to volunteer in a medical milieu.

Even if you are stuck on campus, do you have a campus health service where you could volunteer? Could help a differently-abled student with tasks of daily living? Can you volunteer to help athletic trainers when they work with the athletes? Maybe you have a prehealth club, everyone of whom needs volunteer time: so take some inititive and get the club to hire transportation for everyone on a weekend day so you all can get to a place that could use some help. Consider nursing homes, clinics, VA, family-planning, free-, low-income clinics, hospitals, hospice, etc. Ask older premeds what they are doing to fulfill this essential activity.

ahh I see, thats a good idea. I didn't even think of that, I will be sure to make time next year as I will be joining AED the honors health fraternity. The chair of the department has a connection with UMDNJ and gives members of the society rotations at the hospital.