First Post School List Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OmNom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all I would like to thank everyone who looks at this and extends their help. I come from a school without a strong a premed network so any advice would help enormously. My primary application just got verified. I have a school list (which I planned to update as soon as I got my MCAT, I took the 7/6/11 one) but just browsing this forum it seems very very top heavy so I need help!

Stats
3.96 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA
36O MCAT (10v,13p,13b)
Chemical Engineering Major
Biochemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, History, Biology, Chemistry Minors

Maryland Resident, Asian American Male

EC
Head Coach for community swim team (on coaching staff for 7 years)
Two year division 1 varsity swimmer
1 year research
ED volunteering
President of two school clubs
Engineers without Borders
Honors Program, Deans List, Scholar Athlete
6 x intramural sport champion

LORs should be very good.

Current List: UMD, Hopkins, GW, Georgetown, UVA, UNC, Duke, NYU, Mount Sinai, UPenn >.< I told you it was top heavy

Im trying to stay somewhat close to home (driving distance). I guess I would go out as far as Boston, South Carolina, Tennessee-ish for an idea of the area I'm trying to get at.

Is it too late? Some posts here have been freaking me out a bit... Will I get in anywhere? I already did the essays for all those schools using the school specific forum, I just really need to send out the secondaries at this point, for those schools. Please help? Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad.

Stats
3.96 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA
36O MCAT (10v,13p,13b)
Chemical Engineering Major
Biochemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, History, Biology, Chemistry Minors

Maryland Resident, Asian American Male

EC
Head Coach for community swim team (on coaching staff for 7 years)
Two year division 1 varsity swimmer
1 year research
ED volunteering
President of two school clubs
Engineers without Borders
Honors Program, Deans List, Scholar Athlete
6 x intramural sport champion

LORs should be very good.

Current List: UMD, Hopkins, GW, Georgetown, UVA, UNC, Duke, NYU, Mount Sinai, UPenn >.< I told you it was top heavy

your application looks great! You will get in somewhere. The list is top heavy though, and in my opinion it might not be a bad idea to have 3 or 4 safety schools just in case. This is going to sound wierd, but top schools really like DIFFERENT things which make an applicant stand out. Being a division one swimmer may be your thing, so stress it. A few safeties perhaps Temple, Wake Forest, VCU or somesuch

good luck

I think your list is just fine, app is a little late, but you should still be ok!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get all your Secondaries and supplemental submission in by 9/1 you won't be "late" IMO. You are highly likely to get an acceptance somewhere unless you have the personality of a potato or just started your clinical experience recently. Asian acceptance stats in the last three years: http://i53.tinypic.com/ra9mp4.jpg show that others with your nmubers had a >95% chance of success.

Stats-wise, your school list isn't top heavy, but unless you had your own project and accomplished a lot for that 1 year, the research giants on your list may be an overly-ambitious goal (but not impossible due to other strengths in your application).

If you haven't done some formal physician shadowing, you might want to get that in before interviews roll in. Let schools know in update letters where permitted.

If you can get all your Secondaries and supplemental submission in by 9/1 you won't be "late" IMO. You are highly likely to get an acceptance somewhere unless you have the personality of a potato or just started your clinical experience recently. Asian acceptance stats in the last three years: http://i53.tinypic.com/ra9mp4.jpg show that others with your nmubers had a >95% chance of success.

Stats-wise, your school list isn't top heavy, but unless you had your own project and accomplished a lot for that 1 year, the research giants on your list may be an overly-ambitious goal (but not impossible due to other strengths in your application).

If you haven't done some formal physician shadowing, you might want to get that in before interviews roll in. Let schools know in update letters where permitted.

Thank you so much to everyone. Quick question though, which school were "research giants" and what schools would you apply to if you were me? I was thinking about temple and vcu. Some of my friends from home say I should apply to Yale and Cornell too. Would that round me out nicely?