first R help :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheezpuf

Reaction score
hi everyone, just got my first R :( from a school, I liked and honestly thought I had somewhat of a shot at. Im a low GPA of 3.4cGPA, 3.3sGPA, and a decent MCAT 514 applicant, w/ 1500+ hrs of clinical experience, not counting my full-time job which I'm doing for my gap year (purely clinical at a big-name hospital). I applied to ~30 or so MD schools and have been feeling anxious and panicky about acceptance. Is it a smart move to apply to DO schools at this point (only to cast a wider net)?

side note: mcat expires after this cycle so I'm really trying to maximize my chances of getting into a medical school

Members don't see this ad.

You should’ve applied to DO schools at the beginning of the cycle anyways. Your MCAT is competitive for MD but your GPA is not… There’s a chance that you’ll get in but if your MCAT is expiring this cycle then you should anyways unless you’re preparing to retake it. if you don’t want DO schools then your application is one that would look good for an SMP because you have a good MCAT with a bad GPA. But you may have to retake the MCAT if you go that route because you would be applying next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest you only apply to DO schools you would actually want to attend. What I've seen many times is that a student applies to every and any DO school, only to receive an admission from a new school. Then the new thread begins with " Should I turn down this admission and reapply next year"? There are disadvantages to being a reapplicant especially if you have turned down an admission to medical school. Give it some thought. Good luck and best wishes.

Reactions: 1 user