KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Visit site
Status
Podiatry Student
I just got my first rejection post secondary...KCOM; not a good sign. I'm guessing it'll be a flood of rejection letters over the next few days :(

My fault for completing my apps so late...there's always next year, right?

richarDsOn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Ashland, KY
Status
Don't let it get you down...I'm applying a little late too, but as long as you are confident that you'll be a good candidate next year (if you have to be), then keep doing something that fills your time with good experiences (also what I am doing). And now that you've been through the process it won't be so crazy if you have to start again in June. Over all...try not to take those little letters personally - at least not until the school has met you. Good luck!

OP
K

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Visit site
Status
Podiatry Student
Thanks for the words of encouragement. You are right. Knowing how the process works will result in a better turn around time for secondaries. And I'm continuing to shadow a MD pediatrician and a DO OB/GYN. I just recently started shadowing the DO, so I didn't send the schools his letter of rec; that will be a plus next application cycle.

Good luck with your applications! Where have you applied?

richarDsOn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Ashland, KY
Status
I applied to oucom and pcsom...going to the mountains :)

OP
K

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Visit site
Status
Podiatry Student
I applied to both of the schools too. PCSOM is only two and a half hours from my parents who live in Eastern TN. I eventually want to settle in the appalachians, but don't know if I'll get to do med school there. And OU-COM looks like it has a lot of great opportunities for research and volunteer.

Supposedly PCSOM still has open seats, but I'm not sure about OU-COM; have you heard anything?

jkhamlin

Joe Cool Attending
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
Joplin, MO
Status
Attending Physician
KHep said:
I just got my first rejection post secondary...KCOM; not a good sign. I'm guessing it'll be a flood of rejection letters over the next few days :(

I got rejected by KCOM about a month ago. It seems they must have some outstanding GPA nerds or something this year, because I have a strong app in all areas except this. I even almost qualify for a few of their scholarships. I think they are trying to pad their average GPA this year.
Anyway, there has been no flood of rejections. KCOM has been my only one. I just interviewed yesterday at KCUMB for the MS program with admission to the med school upon completion. They thought I had a strong app. I think KCOM is just quirky this year.

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Rochester, MN
Status
KHep said:

When did you apply and what schools did you apply to?

I was complete at AACOMAS on Dec. 27. I've since received 3 interview invites (COMP, WVSOM, and LECOM-Erie), and am hoping for more. Maybe it's just KCOM . . . I wouldn't lose hope yet. Good luck!

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
OUCOM accepted a buddy of mine about a week ago.

OP
K

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Visit site
Status
Podiatry Student
Well, lets see. AACOMAs was complete the first week in September, but then I got confused because I was spending a lot of time in the neuro lab at school; I was being encouraged to apply to their PhD program. So, by the time I pulled my head out of my a#@, it was finals, which meant that I didn't fill out any of my secondaries until x-mas break. Big mistake. Then, my school had some mix up getting my letters of recommendation out (they operate a letter service). So, I just became complete at schools the week of Feb. 14. So, far I have only heard from KCOM. I have verified that I am complete everywhere, but VCOM (they are waiting on my letters). I applied to LECOM, but never sent back the secondary because I decided that I don't want my kids to grow up there. I would really like to be in the Appalachian area (or to stay put in the chicago area until school is done and then relocate to an appalachian area). So, I've applied to OU-COM, PCSOM, WVSOM (I'm still on hold here without a secondary), PCOM-Atlanta, and VCOM...and CCOM (since I live here and my husband's family is here).

At this point, I am pretty sure that my shot at getting in this year is slim. Had I have returned all of the secondaries when I received them in September, it would probably be a different story. I have mediocre stats. My last 51 hours (including all pre-med prereqs) have been A's, but because of some personal matters that led me to leave school without withdrawing from the university when I was originally enrolled (mid 1990's), my GPA is only like a 3.0 overall and a 3.7 science.

MCAT wasn't great either: V10, P7, B8, WO.

Congrats to your friend, Buckeye and good luck at your interviews, Khenon! :)

NUKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
jkhamlin said:
I got rejected by KCOM about a month ago. It seems they must have some outstanding GPA nerds or something this year, because I have a strong app in all areas except this. I even almost qualify for a few of their scholarships. I think they are trying to pad their average GPA this year.
Anyway, there has been no flood of rejections. KCOM has been my only one. I just interviewed yesterday at KCUMB for the MS program with admission to the med school upon completion. They thought I had a strong app. I think KCOM is just quirky this year.

Can you give me a little more information on this MS program. Is it a guarenteed acceptance upon completion?

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Buckeye(OH) said:
OUCOM accepted a buddy of mine about a week ago.
This was simply to point out that they aren't full yet.

Furthermore, Ill probably be giving up my spot there fairly shortly...

jkhamlin

Joe Cool Attending
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
Joplin, MO
Status
Attending Physician
NUKid said:
Can you give me a little more information on this MS program. Is it a guarenteed acceptance upon completion?
It's automatic as long as you complete it in good standing which means at least a 3.0 and no conduct problems, etc. It's $22,000 minus a $500 deposit. You still have to put up the two $1000 deposits for the med school part.