First Rejection!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just received my first rejection from Indiana University. :scared:

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. How is everyone taking their rejections?

Members don't see this ad.

I've just received my first rejection from Indiana University. :scared:

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. How is everyone taking their rejections?

I applied last cycle, but my first rejection was a relief, in that the world didn't end. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wish I'd get my first one out of the way. I've done a ton of MD secondaries; and I know 99% of them are going to reject me (I'm expecting/planning DO). Why can't they just get it over with so I can stop wondering what if!

I just wish I'd get my first one out of the way. I've done a ton of MD secondaries; and I know 99% of them are going to reject me (I'm expecting/planning DO). Why can't they just get it over with so I can stop wondering what if!

This was basically my thought as well. Being stuck in decision limbo for a long time sucks.

I thought IU was known for not being so OOS friendly?

EVMS was fine because they screened me out pre-secondary. I just want adcoms to make up their minds already! Seeing some people get rejected from schools faster than me is actually making me more anxious than hearing about interviews, as weird as that sounds.

Ask and ye shall receive, got my first rejection last night :(

Last year I applied to 1 school and got 1 rejection!

This year I've applied to 3 and so far no rejections! And after my MCAT retake (next week), I'm hoping my score will be good enough to add a few more.

This was basically my thought as well. Being stuck in decision limbo for a long time sucks.

*Now* I see why kids go craycray when they trollololololol the school specific threads.

I've had two so far. UMN-Duluth, and KCUMB. KCUMB I'm asking for reconsideration because they dumped me before even letting me fill out a secondary. I sent them an email this morning. UMD said it is non-negotiable, I'm done for the cycle. However, I have 1 interview, so I'm ~ 1I-2R-22? but maybe it's 1I-1R-23? depending on KCUMB... If you're truly curious about how I'm handling it http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=843119 I'm doing better now, but it was a bit tough to get rejected outright with no interview from both schools... Especially UMD because my stats aren't out of their ballpark, nor KCUMB's... we'll see... Head up, I got 1 interview, it's better than some!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected here also. Bummer, I like Indiana

Last edited:
I just got poop canned by IU as well. Kind of a relief. And I actually appreciated that didn't make me fill out a secondary. Its the rejections you have to pay $130 for that hurt, I'm sure!

from what I've heard, Indiana is notorious for not accepting OOS without ties to the state.

I think waiting for that first rejection is harder than waiting for any acceptances, from what I hear! You've got it out of the way, and you can breathe easy! :-D

from what I've heard, Indiana is notorious for not accepting OOS without ties to the state.

Why do you assume I don't have ties to the state? I've got all kinds of Indiana blood coursing through my veins.

AWWW YEAAAA

Rejected from DMU-COM this morning before submitting a secondary.

Do you make the 3.0 min and the MCAT cutoff?

Do you make the 3.0 min and the MCAT cutoff?

3.14 cGPA, 2.96 sGPA (getting it up this fall), 33Q mcat.

They prob just saw 2.96 and trashed it.

UMDNJ gave me a secondary and don't they have a 3.0 cutoff as well?

WVU told me I wouldn't be getting a secondary from them. Definitely not a statistics screen, so I'm assuming it's because I'm OOS with no ties. Wasn't my top choice by any means, but I'd be calmer about it if I could weigh it against an interview invite from somewhere else...

3.14 cGPA, 2.96 sGPA (getting it up this fall), 33Q mcat.

They prob just saw 2.96 and trashed it.

UMDNJ gave me a secondary and don't they have a 3.0 cutoff as well?

I didn't apply there. What do you have going for you right now at this moment that you could call DMU and ask them to reconsider based on XYZ thing that makes your 2.96 not worth rejecting out right.... If you have something, send it and try... if they don't respond, try calling them... it can't hurt to not go down without a fight... if you don't have something compelling, then they won't give you a chance anyway...

Pretty sure I got my first rejection around this time last year. It'll be okay. At the time it made me feel horrible. However, my white coat ceremony is in 2 hours. I don't think about that rejection anymore. ;)

Good luck! Hopefully interview invites will start coming in for many of you fairly shortly!

Pretty sure I got my first rejection around this time last year. It'll be okay. At the time it made me feel horrible. However, my white coat ceremony is in 2 hours. I don't think about that rejection anymore. ;)

Good luck! Hopefully interview invites will start coming in for many of you fairly shortly!

YAY!! Congrats :)

I got too many rejections to even keep track of but I got my last rejection YESTERDAY. Seriously? That was sort of ridiculous, I started school two weeks ago and am still getting rejected.

That's awesome!!! Nice... some admissions person is a bit behind....

I didn't apply there. What do you have going for you right now at this moment that you could call DMU and ask them to reconsider based on XYZ thing that makes your 2.96 not worth rejecting out right.... If you have something, send it and try... if they don't respond, try calling them... it can't hurt to not go down without a fight... if you don't have something compelling, then they won't give you a chance anyway...

I'm not really quite sure what I could say. I mean, I plan on retaking some courses this fall to get my sGPA > 3.0, started volunteering with the homeless, and shadowing a D.O. Don't know if these will really help me out.

I also got auto-rejected from KCUMB.

2 for 2 AWWW YEAA

I preferred to think of rejections as being one step closer to knowing what school I WOULD go to. Good luck, it's a long haul between now and a year from now.

Hey guys... I have a question if anyone sees it... I am wondering why, if they don't want to interview me right away when they have my stuff, would a school interview me later?? People keep telling me not to worry that I'm not getting as many interview invites as I'd hoped because it's 'early'.... if they don't want to interview me right now, why would they in a month??? Anyone?

I'm not really quite sure what I could say. I mean, I plan on retaking some courses this fall to get my sGPA > 3.0, started volunteering with the homeless, and shadowing a D.O. Don't know if these will really help me out.

I also got auto-rejected from KCUMB.

2 for 2 AWWW YEAA

KCUMB kicked me back out after supposedly re-reviewing my file.

My thought was if you had something like mine: screwed up the UG, but have had 2 solid years of A work in UL science courses while working full time...

Hey guys... I have a question if anyone sees it... I am wondering why, if they don't want to interview me right away when they have my stuff, would a school interview me later?? People keep telling me not to worry that I'm not getting as many interview invites as I'd hoped because it's 'early'.... if they don't want to interview me right now, why would they in a month??? Anyone?

I posted this in pre-allo somewhere but I applied june 1st and was complete at most schools by the end of august (whenever they sent the secondaries within 2 weeks), but got interviews later. The bulk of my interview invites were January-March.

I posted this in pre-allo somewhere but I applied june 1st and was complete at most schools by the end of august (whenever they sent the secondaries within 2 weeks), but got interviews later. The bulk of my interview invites were January-March.

And you did get in, so... is this a lesson in patience??

Many schools, including mine, have a more or less pre-set number of interview spots that they fill each year. The apps get divvied into three quick and dirty piles: definite invite, definite no invite, and maybe invite. The maybe pile is sometimes called pre-interview hold or something of the sort. As the definite people are invited or rejected, then the maybes get sorted. If you're not rejected or invited right away, then you're a maybe, and you may get an invite later, sometimes even at the end of the interview season. That's why.

Q, how many schools have a large 'definite' pile and it takes more than one round of invites to get through it?? Is it possible I'm on the bottom of that pile and not in the maybes? Just curious...

Q, how many schools have a large 'definite' pile and it takes more than one round of invites to get through it?? Is it possible I'm on the bottom of that pile and not in the maybes? Just curious...
Dunno. At my school, we have a large maybe pile, both pre-interview and post-interview. The definites get invited or rejected right quick. The maybes sometimes languish for months, unfortunately.

KCUMB kicked me back out after supposedly re-reviewing my file.

My thought was if you had something like mine: screwed up the UG, but have had 2 solid years of A work in UL science courses while working full time...

Oh, I do have something like yours... First two years undergrad: ~2.4 GPA. Last two years undergrad ~3.5 GPA.

I guess I could write them something about it. Worst thing they can say is "No" and they've already told me that once!

Q, I am glad I have you :) You're the best, and thanks also to Ejw... I feel slightly less dejected and rejected!! Ok, on a positive note, I have a job interview in a hospital in Denver :) doing med-tech type work... can't hurt the app, and it would be nice to live with my husband! :)

Dunno. At my school, we have a large maybe pile, both pre-interview and post-interview. The definites get invited or rejected right quick. The maybes sometimes languish for months, unfortunately.

As much as I appreciate your informative posts, it doesn't make this in-limbo suck any less. :laugh:

Fortunately, keeping busy hasn't been too much trouble. I made the mistake of only bringing in 1 dozen cookies to the ED staff (leftovers from the cookies I sent to Afghanistan) and word got around... now I have people either butthurt or offering money for their own dozen or two. :laugh: