First Semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alibabadude888

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I attend a top liberal arts school and am doing Pre-Med. My first semester I dropped 1 class, Physics 103 and then I received a B- in Biology 101 (when I was hoping/expecting to get an A). We standardly take 4 classes so my other two grades are B and B+.

My first semester GPA is a 3.0. Dropping that class means that I need to take an extra class some semester in the future. If I get an A in that class then my "first semester" GPA will look like a 3.25.

First semester was very sobering because after first midterms I did really well. Then I slacked off because I thought I would do fine. Second midterms were awful but I got my head together and later did amazing on finals. I guess first semester was a lesson and taught me how to do better in the future.

Did I do really bad or do I still have a chance for a top medical school? I guess I'm at that point right now where I feel behind because of my GPA.

Biology is the only pre-med required class I've taken so far. And next semester I will do Biology 102 (the only other required Biology course) and work hard to get an A.

Any words of inspiration, suggestions, analysis?
 
Relax, dropping a class just appears as a "W" on your transcript. W's, when not used too often will not hurt your application to a med school. A "W" can be anything you want, honestly it could be a "a class you actually got a B in, and you knew you could do better to get that A". Withdrawing from a class rarely is assumed that you were doing terrible in that class, because everyone has their reason to withdraw, whether academic or personal, so unless you have a record of poor grades beforehand they have nothing to go by besides what you tell them, which can just be "I did it to improve that C/B!!!"

Basically, one or two W's will not hurt you; Just make sure to do really well the second time.
 
Last edited:
With a 4.0 from now until the end of junior year (any maybe a summer session to make up the missing class), you could be at 3.8 by the end of junior year, which is sufficient, with a strong MCAT score, for a "top medical school." If you are less than perfect, there are plenty of other med schools that would still consider you.