First step to med school: to shift or not to shift?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MihoMiho

Harajuku Doll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I've been lurking around here for a while now. But seeing that this forum is very much helpful, I decided to create an account. Hopefully, in the near future, I'll also be able to help out by giving tips and answering questions, too. ;DD

But for the time being, I shall struggle to emerge out of my noob status.

I'm currently a third year Nursing student (FEU Manila), and I want to take up Medicine after graduation. My choices for med school are FEU-NRMF and SLCM. I consider FEU because I'm impressed at how well FEU graduates perform in the licensure exams, and I've personally seen how the interns are in the hospital (had one of my duties in FEU hospital this year). For SLCM, I'm vying to grab hold of a scholarship, as I can foretell that my father won't be that ecstatic to support my tuition fee (he'd rather have me work abroad after passing the board and gaining the necessary experience). :scared:

I've already checked the websites of both med schools. I'm afraid that I'm seriously lacking most of the required units under Biology, Chemistry, and Math. My mom suggests that I should shift to BS Biology. But I only have a year to go to finish Nursing, and I don't want to waste my efforts just to survive the course, not to mention the money, too.

So, time-wise and money-wise, which of these options would be less of a hassle for med school? Shift to BS Biology by next year, or just take up the required units after graduation? My gut feeling tells me that it's the latter, but I want to get the facts straight, so I can present my defense properly and accurately to my parents (LOL sounds like a moot court scene ^^;).

I'd really appreciate help on this. Have to plan my steps as early as now! Thank you in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, personally I would graduate nursing. Then take all the requirement courses rather than getting a B.S. in biology.

But is being a usa student, dont' know if the circumstances are different in the phils.

Call the schools first.

Also did you do well in nursing in terms of grades? If so another reason you would not need to get a b.s. bio.

Call the schools first.

Also did you do well in nursing in terms of grades? If so another reason you would not need to get a b.s. bio.

Thank you for the reply! ^__^ I've heard about Nursing students who take up units for Medicine after graduation, but I'm wondering if there are other options out there that's less consuming in terms of time and money. My tuition fee as for Nursing will skyrocket to something that already amounts to first year Medicine next year, so it's been bothering me. =/

Err, I haven't been studying passionately in Nursing, so my grades aren't exactly spectacular as of now. ^^; But I'm happy to say that I wasn't among those who were kicked out during the screening proper, and my NAT (sort of like NMAT, too, but only university-wise) score is one of the highest in my batch. *WHEW* If I need to present really good grades, then I'll gladly start studying better! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! i also graduated with a bachelor's degree in nursing from feu-nrmf and am also considering entering medical school next year. (sa feu-nrmf den, all the way beybi!!!:laugh:) as far as the required units are concerned, i suggest that you don't worry about them. i have classmates who are already in their 1st yr med this sy and the required units didn't become a problem for them. this is maybe due to the less number of med applicants nowadays that medical schools are not anymore particular with those units.

so i suggest that you get your nursing degree, apply for the nmat this coming april 2009, and have a fall back if ever you change your mind about entering med school by being an RN.:thumbup:

hi there! some med schools requires pre-requisite subjects [bio,chem and physics] to name: up and plm. btw, im an rn and also considering to take med this coming school year 09, hopefully my parents could afford the tuition. :)
anyways, better continue ur nursing degree, like what yeahbah said, at least you have a fallback being a rn if you decided to quit (by some reasons)in medicine. Lol
Good luck fellas!:thumbup:

I'm also planning to go to med school but I have a similar problem as MihoMiho! I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (Aha!) which is totally way way off the course towards earning an MD! The funny thing is I have most of the units required for entering med school (I am considering FEU-NRMS) except Biology! I checked FEU's website and the requirements are:

Biology --------------------------- 15 units (I have none)
Chemistry ------------------------ 10 units (I have 10)
Mathematics ---------------------- 9 units (I have more than 20!)
Physics ----------------------------- 5 units (I have 6)
Social Science ------------------- 12 units (I have 12)

I graduated with a latin honour CUM LAUDE and I was wondering if there is a possibility that the college can waive off the need for me to take-up units in Bio? I am more worried with NMAT actually as Biology is part of the exam so I seriously need to do some studying! I had Biology and Anatomy way back in high school and my knowledge about these areas are now 6-feet under my subconscious! :D

MihoMiho, is there anyone I can contact at FEU-NRMS?

I'm also planning to go to med school but I have a similar problem as MihoMiho! I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (Aha!) which is totally way way off the course towards earning an MD! The funny thing is I have most of the units required for entering med school (I am considering FEU-NRMS) except Biology! I checked FEU's website and the requirements are:

I graduated with a latin honour CUM LAUDE and I was wondering if there is a possibility that the college can waive off the need for me to take-up units in Bio? I am more worried with NMAT actually as Biology is part of the exam so I seriously need to do some studying! I had Biology and Anatomy way back in high school and my knowledge about these areas are now 6-feet under my subconscious! :D

whow!!! a cum laude bs computer science graduate. hmm... you can also avail scholarships from other schools like st lukes and dls. regarding biology, just brush up on your anatomy (at least that of a vertebrate, like a cat).:laugh:

and just a reminder, some medical schools don't require you to have the bio units. i have some schoolmates who are economics and political science majors (and mind you, they're doin great now).:D

FEU-NRMF: try calling these numbers 9384851, 9384884. these are FEU's contact numbers written at the NMAT supplementary hand-out.

Thank you, jaypeeMD and yeahbah for the response.

I know some schools do not require units in Biology. At the moment though I cannot say "some" as I only found one school that doesn't require those units, and that is UERMMMC! The med schools I am considering are UST-FMS, FEU-NRMF and SLCM-- and unfortunately all of them (except UST??) require the bio pre-req! FEU and St. Luke's especially are asking for 15 units! Hell lotta much! :mad:

Does anybody have an idea about UST-FMS? In their website they mentioned Biology, Chemistry and Physics as "Recommended" subjects. By the word "Recommended": Do they really mean recommended as in "RECOMMENDED" or recommended as in "REQUIRED"?? You get what I mean? lol. :D

I have nothing against UERMMMC, it's just that I am honestly ignorant about its standards. Would be great if anyone can also give me an idea how well this school fare with the others.

Thanks again!

P.S I earned my bachelor's in 2003 when I was only 20 y/o.. now I'm 26!!! A late bloomer for realizing I wanted to become a physician. Lol! Geez, I just realized I really need to do a lot of reviewing!!! :eek:

Thank you, jaypeeMD and yeahbah for the response.

I know some schools do not require units in Biology. At the moment though I cannot say "some" as I only found one school that doesn't require those units, and that is UERMMMC! The med schools I am considering are UST-FMS, FEU-NRMF and SLCM-- and unfortunately all of them (except UST??) require the bio pre-req! FEU and St. Luke's especially are asking for 15 units! Hell lotta much! :mad:

Does anybody have an idea about UST-FMS? In their website they mentioned Biology, Chemistry and Physics as "Recommended" subjects. By the word "Recommended": Do they really mean recommended as in "RECOMMENDED" or recommended as in "REQUIRED"?? You get what I mean? lol. :D

I have nothing against UERMMMC, it's just that I am honestly ignorant about its standards. Would be great if anyone can also give me an idea how well this school fare with the others.

Thanks again!

P.S I earned my bachelor's in 2003 when I was only 20 y/o.. now I'm 26!!! A late bloomer for realizing I wanted to become a physician. Lol! Geez, I just realized I really need to do a lot of reviewing!!! :eek:

UERM is also a good school. one that, if i may say, can surely compete with the well known medical schools in the country.

As far as UST is concerned, all i know is application for sy 2009-2010 has ended last November. But to be sure, try inquiring at their admissions office or calling them if you can still apply.

FEU-NRMF, being an alumni (bs nursing 2008), i think they are not really particular about the units because i have classmates in nursing who are already in their 1st yr now. maybe due to the less number of med applicants nowadays, the units didn't become a problem for them. but still, inquiring is best to make sure.