first time doing destroyer ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

promolion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what was your first time like? i thought i knew my ochem until i tried to do destroyer. holy fuk. i understood all the concept in the solution. but holy fuk.

Members don't see this ad.

LOL. same here. I was even an ochem tutor, and I was like ****ting bricks after destroyer. Somethings in there are different from what I learned, like you can't use LiAlH4 for liek R-CN without adding etOH was it? but in my text book, we used LialH4 with just water for R-CN to make R-CH2NH2 :confused:

what was your first time like? i thought i knew my ochem until i tried to do destroyer. holy fuk. i understood all the concept in the solution. but holy fuk.
The first time I looked at Destroyer's O-chem section my confidence was crushed so bad I thought about returning the book. But it takes time and practice. You'll eventually get a hold of it. It worked very well for me and I owe my 23 on O-chem to great problems provided by Destroyer. So, hang in there.

The first time - before Heavily reviewing my Ochem - I didn't **** bricks, I shat all my internal organs in a torrent of bloody terror.

The second time, post-orgo review, I was actually batting it down fairly easily. It requires a good but not insane knowledge base. More than knowledge it demands just careful thought, "Okay, here's my product.. now what would my product do to itself? Oh, there's the answer."

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel a lot better. Man, I keep thinking that the people who did well on their DAT aced the destroyer their first time.

LOL. same here. I was even an ochem tutor, and I was like ****ting bricks after destroyer. Somethings in there are different from what I learned, like you can't use LiAlH4 for liek R-CN without adding etOH was it? but in my text book, we used LialH4 with just water for R-CN to make R-CH2NH2 :confused:

Your textbook is making me sad. If you add LAH to water, chances are you're going to splash water all over your hood. The reaction is very vigorous, liberating a stoichiometric amount of H2 quite quickly (along with basic water).

I feel a lot better. Man, I keep thinking that the people who did well on their DAT aced the destroyer their first time.

i got 30 in ochem but when i laid my eyes on the first few questions in ochem...i was scared. So dont worry you not alone. lol But whatever i didnt know i would look into great details.

Your textbook is making me sad. If you add LAH to water, chances are you're going to splash water all over your hood. The reaction is very vigorous, liberating a stoichiometric amount of H2 quite quickly (along with basic water).

I don't know..in another text book it says the same thing. R-CN ---> 1.LiAlH4, 2. h2O gives you RCH2NH2. My ochem prof also has the same rxn in her notes, and it's hard to doubt her because she got her phD from MIT, and she does know her stuff. So i'm not sure if the real DAT is like super nit picky on these stuff(like destroyer), hopefully not.

R-CN ---> 1.LiAlH4, 2. h2O gives you RCH2NH2.
As long as the LiAlH4 and H2O never touch, you will be fine. When they separate reactions into steps, it generally means the product of the first step is purified before adding more reactants. LiAlH4 always has to be in an aprotic solvent like diethyl ether btw.

i was the same way.. when i first started doing destroyer ochem (and gen chem for that matter), i died a little inside bc i felt like i didnt know shiaatt. but after looking over the answers and learning how to do each problem, i found the rest of the problems to be somewhat repetitive and i started to perform much better... keep working :)

I don't know..in another text book it says the same thing. R-CN ---> 1.LiAlH4, 2. h2O gives you RCH2NH2. My ochem prof also has the same rxn in her notes, and it's hard to doubt her because she got her phD from MIT, and she does know her stuff. So i'm not sure if the real DAT is like super nit picky on these stuff(like destroyer), hopefully not.

The "1., 2." notation separating the procedure into steps usually means that the products of "1" are purified and separated before the addition of "2." This is not an example of LiAlH in water.

For another example, think of a Grignard. Grignards are destroyed in the presence of protic functional groups, and yet you commonly have a procedure that looks something like "1. Mg in diethyl ether. 2. Carbon dioxide. 3. Acid wash." The steps are all quite separate; if they weren't, the acid would destroy the Grig to begin with and we'd have no net reaction.

LiAlH throws out H-. Water throws out H+. There's not much doubt about it; if you throw LiAlH into water, you'll be churning out H2 gas.

The first time I looked at Destroyer's O-chem section my confidence was crushed so bad I thought about returning the book. But it takes time and practice. You'll eventually get a hold of it. It worked very well for me and I owe my 23 on O-chem to great problems provided by Destroyer. So, hang in there.

====================

how much you want to sell it the destroyer and what edition/year? does it look acceptable?