first time in the micu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's up,

so i'm doing a micu month as a "fourthie". This is like the first time in this place and i feel like an idiot. I have no idea how all these different vents work and how to change vent settings despite reading stuff in the washington manual. I heard the "ICU Book" is a great book but reading through that in a month is a formidable task and some of the stuff in there is wayyyy over my head.

Is there any book out there that gives a solid overview of getting the most out of an ICU rotation? I've traditionally used First Aid as a M3 and it usually provided some sort of structure but I dont think there is a book for MICU

Help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

realruby2000 said:
what's up,

so i'm doing a micu month as a "fourthie". This is like the first time in this place and i feel like an idiot. I have no idea how all these different vents work and how to change vent settings despite reading stuff in the washington manual. I heard the "ICU Book" is a great book but reading through that in a month is a formidable task and some of the stuff in there is wayyyy over my head.

Is there any book out there that gives a solid overview of getting the most out of an ICU rotation? I've traditionally used First Aid as a M3 and it usually provided some sort of structure but I dont think there is a book for MICU

Help!!!
Honestly, the ICU Book by Marino is probably about as condensed as you will find. It's a great read.

You don't have to read the entire book. Just read the chapters that are high-yield (vents, gases, etc.).

i didn't find the icu book all that helpful. it outlines physiologic principals that govern vent management, but really has very little practical advice.

i found vent mgmt on "up to date" useful. read up on the basics and understand reasoning behind how to ventilate ards. that'll give you a good start.

gw
pgy-3
em