First time on PCAT

Started by simon0923
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

simon0923

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello I'm a student that lives in Canada planning to apply for University of Toronto. Their minimum requirements for PCAT is low:

http://www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca/bscphm/admissions/pcat

I also plan to apply for American schools next year if I don't get in this year. I possess U.S green card, so I should have no problem applying to American schools. Is my mark competitive enough for American schools?

Now I took the PCAT yesterday, and was unsure of my marks. I got:

Verbal : 82 PR
Biology: 79 PR
Reading : 47 PR
Quant: 85 PR
Chem: 81 PR
Composite : 81 PR

I'm not sure about my reading comp mark. Do I retake it? I have one scheduled for Sept, just in case I screwed up on my July one.

Also, are the essay marks 3.0 for language and 2.5 problem solving hard to get? I had my essays with 5 paragraphs with an intro, 3 body, and a conclusion, providing a solution for each of my body paragraph.
 
IMO I think you're all set. Just make sure your interview skills are sharp and you think about how you would answer questions they might ask. Keep up the good work!
 
Hey, I'm also applying to U of T. Your PCAT scores are fine. The RC minimum for U of T was the 20th percentile last year and I doubt it will increase significantly this year. American schools will primarily look at your composite score. A composite of 70+ is considered competitive for most schools, so an 80 is even better. Besides, most people do poorly on RC, so it's not a big deal. What's important is that you do well on the science portion, which you did.

From what I've heard, 3.0 / 2.5 isn't very hard to get on the writing portion. As long as your essay is structured properly, your points are supported, and your writing is coherent, you should get no less than a 3.0 in both sections.