First time poster - need help picking schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeDDSDMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

This is my first time posting even though I've been following SDN for years. I'm trying to decide on schools to apply to that would make the most sense. I'm shooting for at least 12.
oGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.01
DAT: 19 (AA), 25 (PAT)
1,200 hours shadowing/dental assisting

I'm from IL so my for sure schools are:
UIC
SIU
Midwestern-IL
Indiana
LECOM
Kentucky
Midwestern-AZ

I'm debating on:
Marquette
Case Western
Western
NYU
Pacific
Colorado
Iowa

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my opinion, I would say keep Marquette, Case, Western, and NYU. I think Pacific will be a reach. I don't know enough about Iowa honestly. Maybe consider Roseman and ASDOH, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mike,

Check out Creighton. It is close to Illinois, private, and could align with your stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
add Louisville and Creighton. also, definitely U$C. you could check out MOSDOH and Roseman as well

What are the scores in your DAT subsections?

Thank you for your input guys!

I'm definitely going to go with:
UIC
SIU
MWU-IL
Indiana
LECOM
Colorado
MWU-AZ
Creighton

And I'm deciding on:
Marquette (who wants to live in wisconsin?!!)
Iowa (I think I'm gonna pull this one)
Kentucky
Roseman (most likely)
NYU
Western
USC ($$$$$)
Louisville
Case (someone posted about a 3.4 minimum? any truth to this?)

I was originally going for 12, but I think I can financially swing 14, maybeeee 15. I listed 17 schools and others are still floating in my head as well. Which ones should i eliminate?

I considered MOSDOH and ASDOH but I heard they are heavy on ECs, UNLV requires 4 LoR. UoP would definitely be a reach. Also Tufts and Boston but they don't accept much for community college classwork which is where I began my journey.

Apply to Creighton early - their seats were filled Dec. 1 this year.

Last I checked, Colorado heavily favors in-state and WICHE. Double check the ADEA guidebook to confirm. Coming from IL, I think you would need higher science DAT scores to be competitive there.

Hello,

I'm a prospective dental student very interested in applying to Siue in the near future. I would like to know from anyone who has been accepted, attends the school, or has attended the school in the past what gpa, bcpm (science gpa), and AA DAT score you got into the school with. Also what other perks did you have on your application? Thank you!

- Meg

Nova, MOSDOH, ASDOH, (I think you have good EC's) and Case (the 3.4 is their average, I called a couple of months ago and asked. Maybe it changed...? Don't know, but doubt it).
if you're going to apply to NYU/Case, might as well do USC. All pricey, but you never know.

btw, great job on the PAT section. what did you use to study?

btw, great job on the PAT section. what did you use to study?
Thank you! I used kaplan, barron's, and pretty much any free practice test I could find from google haha