First time Posting! Need some help..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoylematt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first time posting on the forums, although i have frequented them before in search of advice. As I am now starting my journey through the dental school application process and DAT prep i thought i would ask some questions from the experts on this forum. Here are a couple to start...

1) I had to take an F in one of my science classes for whatever reason, but i retook it for an "A" the next semester. Even though the grade was replaced and doesn't affect my GPA--can Dental schools still see that F and count it like Law schools do?

2) How many times can i take the DAT? and do they take an average of the scores, the latest score, or the best of the scores?

3) Exactly what is the whole science GPA mean? does it just apply to the science requirements for application, or for every science class that ive taken?

I think thats enough for now...thanks in advance for the help!

-Matt

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting on the forums, although i have frequented them before in search of advice. As I am now starting my journey through the dental school application process and DAT prep i thought i would ask some questions from the experts on this forum. Here are a couple to start...

1) I had to take an F in one of my science classes for whatever reason, but i retook it for an "A" the next semester. Even though the grade was replaced and doesn't affect my GPA--can Dental schools still see that F and count it like Law schools do?

2) How many times can i take the DAT? and do they take an average of the scores, the latest score, or the best of the scores?

3) Exactly what is the whole science GPA mean? does it just apply to the science requirements for application, or for every science class that ive taken?

-Matt

Hey Matt!!

I will tell you as mush as I know

1) They will count every grade that you have taken if it shows on the transcripts! I know that it doesnt count in your college GPA but AADSAS counts everything!

2) You can take the DAT up to 3 times. If you need to take it more, you need like a special request or something like that. Dental schools also dont look highly if you took it more than 3 times! Also, depending on what the school is, I know most schools will take your latest one. I think there are a few that will take your highest, and there are none that I heard that will take your average...there might be, but I highly doubt it!

3) Your science GPA is would consist of ANY Chem, Bio, Physics, and Math...There is a place on AADSAS that will tell you what considers as science, so make sure you check that and dont quote me 100%

Good luck on your apps and your desire to purse dentistry!

Hey guys,

-Matt
just wanted to comment on the F, make sure you explain it in your personal essay, don't "make excuses" but make sure you have a valid reason and explain what you learned etc...you know the drill

hopefullywon't be a huge problem if all of your other grades are very good

Members don't see this ad :)
On the "F", i just recently applied for an exception to have the F removed from my transcript for the following reasons,

--Death in the family
--poor advice from the administration
--lack of knowledge due to changing institutions...

the reasons go on and on. If i knew this were the case i would have fought tooth and nail for some form of a "W" instead of having an F tarnish my GPA

Wish me luck!

Last edited: