First Week/Year Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SwampPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I have one week down. It was certainly an emotional rollercoaster. We were all told to relax and we would be fine and then they proceeded to scare us to death LOL. We only had a couple of real classes. Mostly we were just going through an orientation phase. All the professors at my school seem incredible right now. They are all eager to help and want us to succeed. Maybe that's why they tried scaring us :). So I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. I already have a good bit of studying to do, but I'm happy to be starting my journey. I'd love to hear other students thoughts! If we keep this going it may be helpful to future DPT students:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Personally, I didn't think my PT program as a whole was that much harder than undergrad. I finished both my PT program and undergrad with a ~3.68 GPA. I definitely had a breakdown point my second semester where I was just overwhelmed with everything, but just know everything will be ok! A few C's every now and then will not break you. I got a C in my stats class and I still passed my boards on the first attempt, still graduated cum laude, and actually just got offered a job at a hospital.

The main thing is, try not to over-stress about grades too much. Every teacher has their own style yes, and it may take a test or two to get into the swing of things. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I barely ever read the books (up until I started studying for the board exams). I studied strictly from the in-class notes. They teach directly from the notes no matter what, and in my case.... usually on the things that I skipped over thinking they would never test us on that.

The best thing is, you can ALWAYS just go to the teachers for help. They actually want to help you learn and you'll develop good rapport with them for talking to them. Don't be shy with them! If you don't do well on your first few exams, big deal! You'll have dozens more to take and it will all click soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I didn't think my PT program as a whole was that much harder than undergrad. I finished both my PT program and undergrad with a ~3.68 GPA. I definitely had a breakdown point my second semester where I was just overwhelmed with everything, but just know everything will be ok! A few C's every now and then will not break you. I got a C in my stats class and I still passed my boards on the first attempt, still graduated cum laude, and actually just got offered a job at a hospital.

The main thing is, try not to over-stress about grades too much. Every teacher has their own style yes, and it may take a test or two to get into the swing of things. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I barely ever read the books (up until I started studying for the board exams). I studied strictly from the in-class notes. They teach directly from the notes no matter what, and in my case.... usually on the things that I skipped over thinking they would never test us on that.

The best thing is, you can ALWAYS just go to the teachers for help. They actually want to help you learn and you'll develop good rapport with them for talking to them. Don't be shy with them! If you don't do well on your first few exams, big deal! You'll have dozens more to take and it will all click soon!
You have succeeded in bringing my blood pressure down a couple notches so thank you very much :)

@SwampPT How many units are they making you take your 1st semester. I don't start until August but I'm already anxious for it. :)

@SwampPT How many units are they making you take your 1st semester. I don't start until August but I'm already anxious for it. :)
12 units, but it feels like 120 right about now LOL. I am very happy that I reviewed before school started. I actually wish I reviewed more.

I'm almost done with week 3 of my first semester and it's been a crazy time so far! I love my professors and classmates and the style of the curriculum (we use problem based learning, so very few actual lectures happen). I had my first test today and did well so I'm happy! We take 12 hours our first summer: 8 hours of anatomy, 3 of professional socialization, and 1 of medical terminology. Anatomy is taking up the majority of my time and we spend up to 6 hours a day doing cadaver dissections, which are awesome! In my program we can't make below a C in a course, so that's really stressful but I'm trying not to worry too much and to just focus on learning the information. :)

Week two of PT school is finally over! The week started off with a punch in the face. I never dreamed that a professor could convey so much information so quickly. Our heads were all spinning. I thought that I was definitely going to flunk out. Then I calmed down and just started digesting the information as well as I could. My classmates and I pretty much study after school until we go to sleep. I find going to the gym for a workout after class is the best way to recharge my batteries. I hope I'm finding my groove. I feel like I will have all the material digested by Sunday. PT school is definitely hard, but I feel like it's doable if you keep on top of things and work your butt off. I also believe that the more you interact with your classmates the better off you'll be. I know my classmates have been helpful to me and I hope I've helped them along the way also. So week two was certainly a shock to the system. I'm still cautiously optimistic though:). I'm looking forward to our anatomy exams next Monday so I can see if the hard work is paying off. I definitely feel like I'm learning a great deal. I think it's very important at this point to keep a positive mental attitude.

Reactions: 2 users
My classmates and I pretty much study after school until we go to sleep.
Pace yourself...you most likely wont be able to maintain that sort of intensity throughout the didactic portion of school...you will have to figure out how to become efficient in how you study. This will most likely happen after the first few exams when you learn what your professors are looking for..so then you wont have to study every single detail which can be overwhelming.

Reactions: 3 users
Week two of PT school is finally over! The week started off with a punch in the face. I never dreamed that a professor could convey so much information so quickly. Our heads were all spinning. I thought that I was definitely going to flunk out. Then I calmed down and just started digesting the information as well as I could.

I'm starting my third year of PT school now, and have felt that spinning overwhelming feeling many many times over the last two years (mostly in the first year, though). You'll get more used to that feeling, and just learn to trust that you'll make it, even if you're not sure how that's going to happen. It just will. Like PTMattl said, once you get more of a feel for the styles of your different professors, you'll be able to focus more on what's important to them rather than learning every detail. Each semester, I've been able to relax a bit more than the previous semester, even as my course load increased.

Congrats on starting PT school! :)

Week two of PT school is finally over! The week started off with a punch in the face. I never dreamed that a professor could convey so much information so quickly. Our heads were all spinning. I thought that I was definitely going to flunk out. Then I calmed down and just started digesting the information as well as I could. My classmates and I pretty much study after school until we go to sleep. I find going to the gym for a workout after class is the best way to recharge my batteries. I hope I'm finding my groove. I feel like I will have all the material digested by Sunday. PT school is definitely hard, but I feel like it's doable if you keep on top of things and work your butt off. I also believe that the more you interact with your classmates the better off you'll be. I know my classmates have been helpful to me and I hope I've helped them along the way also. So week two was certainly a shock to the system. I'm still cautiously optimistic though:). I'm looking forward to our anatomy exams next Monday so I can see if the hard work is paying off. I definitely feel like I'm learning a great deal. I think it's very important at this point to keep a positive mental attitude.
Thanks for the updates! Please keep them coming! I'm anxiously/excitingly waiting for PT school to start in August...I'm kinda happy I don't have a summer semester now cuz it seems pretty intense

Quick question...did you find the textbooks/materials that the school provides is sufficient for anatomy? Or would you recommend buying a supplemental text such as Netters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question...did you find the textbooks/materials that the school provides is sufficient for anatomy? Or would you recommend buying a supplemental text such as Netters?
Im sure each school is different but whatever textbooks they recommend + class notes should be more than sufficient. I wouldnt spend the money on buying an extra text book which you may never use

Plus your anatomy lab may have some other versions of anatomy books you would be able to check out from time to time

Just finished week one. Feeling really great about everything. Definitely a good amount of work but nothing overwhelming (yet) and we are all having a ton of fun together. Hope everyone else is enjoying the start to their summer.

Thanks for the updates! Please keep them coming! I'm anxiously/excitingly waiting for PT school to start in August...I'm kinda happy I don't have a summer semester now cuz it seems pretty intense
I'm planning on throwing in a weekly update throughout the entire process. I haven't seen anything like that, so I figure it may be helpful to future students. Oh and I did go out last night and I drank a few beers! I'm trying to set one evening aside each weekend to decompress so I keep my sanity LOL

I would def recommend buying Netter it will help you throughout school, not just in anatomy.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice everyone! Looking forward to hearing more stories about PT school...i'll be sure to join in once my program starts in August :happy:

ahh first year. I remember the eagerness and excitement. Fast forward to third year and I'm watching a House Hunters marathon trying to forget that I'm actually still in school. Lol, good luck guys!

Week 3 down. I still LOL every day walking out of anatomy.. The feeling of cramming 10 pounds of **** into a 5 pound bag is hard to adjust to.

I love this though, so great to finally be here and not freaking over application BS.

Week 3 was way better than week 2. I think I'm just getting used to the pace a bit. I absolutely LOVE my clinical anatomy class. Our class as a whole are really starting to come together and help each other out. It's really nice to see and to be a part of. There is still a massive amount of information to learn and most of us are paranoid because we haven't had that huge test yet. That will all change on Monday. We have an anatomy exam and an anatomy lab practical. My roommates and I have studied so much. I've never studied more for an exam. I feel like I know my stuff pretty well and I couldn't possibly have studied more. So I'm cautiously optimistic about my chances. If I do well it will be a real confidence booster. I sincerely hope that everyone in my class does well. So week four is going to be a HUGE week! I guess at this point, I'm really enjoying school although I'm still worried:)

Reactions: 4 users
Gross anatomy is life.

It's a lot of work but I find myself absorbed in studying.

I am starting week 3. So far we have covered the muscles of the back of our cadaver and have flipped over the body and are working on the chest/arm/forearm. I'm feeling okay about the material so far. Youtube videos are amazing.

Lol consider yourself lucky. My understanding going into school was that school would not be that bad, and I don't think it should be, but our program seems to enjoy watching us suffer. I am in my first year 3rd trimester, and we have taken 20-25 hours per trimester, generally in class ~25-32 hours a week. We are downtown, so a 1-way commute for most of us is 30-60 minutes. I am partially just complaining about my program and also saying programs can be very different, and be happy you chose a good one!

A few C's every now and then will not break you.

Wouldn't that be nice. In my program, get a C and your on probation for the next semester. Get another C in the subsequent semester and you're out.

With that said, nobody in the class ahead of me was lost during the first year. Everyone just studies really hard and works together, and we all just know that it's B's get degrees, not C's.

Personally I feel like it contributes to a program full of very bright, driven students. Who also have a lot of fun. ;)

Please continue with this thread...it brings back memories haha

Last edited:
Wouldn't that be nice. In my program, get a C and your on probation for the next semester. Get another C in the subsequent semester and you're out.

With that said, nobody in the class ahead of me was lost during the first year. Everyone just studies really hard and works together, and we all just know that it's B's get degrees, not C's.

Personally I feel like it contributes to a program full of very bright, driven students. Who also have a lot of fun. ;)

I meant on exams, not in classes! Like if you have a class that has 4 exams in it, and you get a C on one of them, you could probably still get an A in the class. However I did get a C in my Stats for healthcare class, but that was another story :p . Yes we also had that policy about academic probation. If you fell below a 3.0 during any semester!

Week four is down:). I feel like I've gotten into a routine now. This week coming up is going to be pretty difficult though. Between Tuesday and next Monday we have five exams. My roommates and I are studying all most constantly right now. After this stretch we will definitely be enjoying some alcoholic beverages:). Anyway, PT school seems to have gotten into a routine also. There hasn't been any new surprises. I'm starting to look at PT school like competitive eating LOL. Everyone in the class seems to grow closer everyday. We find more and more ways to cooperate and help each other. Palpation of the Hip has a way of breaking the ice LOL. If you haven't done that yet, you're in for a treat LOL!

Just wait till you get to palpation of the pubic symphysis...

Puborectalis lab is also a doozy!! Remember to double glove!!

A guy I worked with has told me some great stories of the pelvic floor exam in his woman's health course. Can't wait for that experience.

Just finished week one today! The information we're learning is coming fast and in a large quantity.

Working with cadavers has certainly been interesting and its great to actually see and touch what we're learning about. I definitely felt that head spinning feeling that others have mentioned after the first day. However, studying each night and participating in class really builds confidence. The material is really interesting. I haven't had that initial test yet, so we'll see how I feel afterwards haha.

I need to work on studying more efficiently so I won't feel so tired in the mornings. Everyone in my cohort has been really easy to get to know and its clear that we're already vested in our collective success. The first week hasn't been easy, but I am looking forward to continuing the opportunity to test my mettle and live my dream.

Sorry I was way too busy to post my thoughts about the past week. We lovingly called it hell week:). We had five tests in six days. My roommates and I literally studied 25 hours over the weekend for our Anatomy lecture exam and lab practical. I'm sure glad that is over:). I never studied so hard for so long in my life. It really wasn't all horrible though. I've come to realize that it is far better to utilize many different studying strategies. My roommates and I usually study on our own until we can't stand it and then we meet in the living room and fire questions off at each other. It works very well and breaks up the monotony.

I feel like I'm pretty used to the grind of PT school at this point. It's definitely not easy, but it is doable as long as you put forth the effort. I've also found that I pretty much get B's in everything. It's certainly not what I'm used to and I'm trying to figure out a way to get A's, but B's get degrees:). I have found that I'm able to gobble up large portions of information faster than I ever have before. In short: PT school is like competitive eating except instead of food you're ingesting information.

Reactions: 5 users
Hit a little rough patch week 3.

Summer is basically just Gross Anatomy. Nailed the first quiz, but fell off big time on the second quiz. Just studied the wrong way and thought I could readjust for the next week's quiz. This wasn't a huge deal because they drop the lowest quiz for the semester but wanted to obviously straighten everything out. The whole course is just 6 quizzes, a midterm and a final (which are both written questions/lab practical combos) so there is not much room for error.

I went and got help. Met with the prof the go through everything on the quiz and restrategize. The prof was extremely helpful and helped me put everything in perspective. One of my TAs who I have become good friends with reached out to me to offer assistance.

I regrouped and was very successful on the third quiz, and ended up hitting both the written portion and lab practical portion of the midterm out of the park.

Moral of the story: if you need help, get it. You are in your programs for a reason. The faculty want you there. Let them help you. No shame in doing what you need to do to be successful.

Reactions: 7 users
Hit a little rough patch week 3.

Summer is basically just Gross Anatomy. Nailed the first quiz, but fell off big time on the second quiz. Just studied the wrong way and thought I could readjust for the next week's quiz. This wasn't a huge deal because they drop the lowest quiz for the semester but wanted to obviously straighten everything out. The whole course is just 6 quizzes, a midterm and a final (which are both written questions/lab practical combos) so there is not much room for error.

I went and got help. Met with the prof the go through everything on the quiz and restrategize. The prof was extremely helpful and helped me put everything in perspective. One of my TAs who I have become good friends with reached out to me to offer assistance.

I regrouped and was very successful on the third quiz, and ended up hitting both the written portion and lab practical portion of the midterm out of the park.

Moral of the story: if you need help, get it. You are in your programs for a reason. The faculty want you there. Let them help you. No shame in doing what you need to do to be successful.
Congratulations and you're 100% correct!

Week six is in the books! I ended up getting a B on my Anatomy Lecture Exam and I crushed the Anatomy Lab Exam with an A:). I'm feeling pretty good about my chances of succeeding in PT school at this point. This week consisted of the above two tests as well as an Into to PT quiz. Due to technical problems our Intro to PT quiz was postponed. The rest of the week was pretty much the same old thing. We are into a routine now. I wish I had something more to contribute :). I will reiterate that you definitely have to have more than one study strategy and you have to stay on top of things and give 100% (90% if you're a genius LOL)

I will add here, that I think it is really helpful to get an anatomy atlas with real pictures of bones and dissections to supplement the anatomy course. Seeing a photo of a beautiful dissection can really clarify things when they get murky (read: bonded together fascia that somehow resembles nerve or muscle that drives you crazy as you spend hours dissecting out essentially nothing). Also, seeing the bony landmarks on real bones is also great, especially late at night when you are at home and don't have access to a skeleton.

We are finishing up week 7 and just took an insane test on the thorax/head/neck. Our class had been showing up in gym clothes, but today the day after the test, everyone came in dressed up and looking sharp :) There's something to be said about the feel good look good principle! We got word that the preliminary average exam score was 86% so we are going into the weekend feeling pretty good about the crazy amounts of studying we put in for this test.

We are dissecting the pelvis tomorrow in our program! We just finished the posterior abdominal wall and retroperitoneal space/organs today and had the muscles of the abdomen and all of the structures in intraperitoneal region on Monday and Tuesday. I can't tell you how exciting and sad it is to be finishing up :(

For those who are starting school, get the Netter's Atlas. By far the best Atlas, and avoid getting Grant's. Many of my classmates bought Grant's and then bought Netter's. Sometimes you just need amazing drawings like Netter's has to fill in the gaps (and spend tons of extra time in Lab out of class/weekend). Think about this way, you maybe only have this chance to dissect a cadaver in your lifetime so spend as much time as you can studying it and studying other cadavers. I spend no less than 5 hours out of class in lab during the week and from 5-12 hrs during the weekend.

First semester of PT school is in the books (literally)!

Wish I would've checked in after Week 1 to read what was I thinking at the time lol.

First semester of PT school is in the books (literally)!

Wish I would've checked in after Week 1 to read what was I thinking at the time lol.
Sweet!! I have my last final this Wednesday! How much time do you have off?

I just had my final today as well. I think it went very well. A little over two weeks off now!

Well it has been a couple weeks since I posted last. We had hell week last week (exam in every subject) and the week before was nothing but studying constantly. I'm happy to say I made it through :) It was a brutal couple weeks, but I learned that I can ingest way more information than I ever would have thought. We have one more exam to go for this semester. ONE!!!!! I will be so excited to have this first semester in the books. This was, without a doubt, the hardest semester of my life. However, the semester seemed to go by pretty fast and I did have plenty of moments of joy so I can't complain. I did learn a couple things that I wished I knew before PT school. The first is that the questions asked on a graduate exam are far different than undergrad. I'm not sure if there is a website that gives examples or trains a student to take graduate exams, but I'm going to look and find out. It would definitely be a good idea to get that down before school. I also learned not to rely on one particular study habit. I used to be a memorizer. While you still need to memorize a ton, you absolutely have to employ other tactics. I found I like study groups after I study by myself for awhile. It breaks up the monotony and it is nice to get a different perspective from other students. Not to mention that it is fun to try to stump each other during question and answer segments. I hope everyone has done well this semester! I'll attempt to be more prompt with my posts because I know y'all are just dying to read what I type LOL :)

Reactions: 6 users
I'm planning on throwing in a weekly update throughout the entire process. I haven't seen anything like that, so I figure it may be helpful to future students. Oh and I did go out last night and I drank a few beers! I'm trying to set one evening aside each weekend to decompress so I keep my sanity LOL

Omg! Yes I would appreciate reading your weekly updates. I am applying this year, hoping I get in! Also I was hoping to keep like a resource binder throughout PT school to create my own reference guide afterwards. My initial thought was to divide my resource guide by joint but that may change once in school.

Alright I've been in PT school orientation for two weeks. It's honestly crazy to be at this point. It's very exciting and I adore my classmates they are such a great group of people. We have hung out on many occasions, play heads up (we are kind of addicted to the app game lol) , and will be having our second pancake breakfast together at a classmates place this weekend. It really is true that they become family. There are 48 of us, and I love it! So far so good. Although my brain is in information overload from orientation. Classes start this Monday. ...I'm excited but nervous. I wonder if I can really do it.....but then I remind myself I've made it this far and was accepted for a reason. DPT school won't be easy but the adventure is so worth it.

Another week is down and we have one more exam tomorrow and then our final Intro to PT class and the semester is officially over. As I sit here all day studying Physiology, I keep reminding myself of that. Hasn't been making studying go any easier though LOL. Last week wasn't bad at all because we only have two classes now. At this point everyone knows what it takes to make it. For me the hardest part is learning how to answer graduate questions. They assume you know the information so the questions are mostly geared toward tricking you or you end up with multiple correct answers. Luckily, I'm making it, but if the questions were straight forward I'd be rocking it with all A's. Anyway, if you have the time and can find a resource, practice answering those kinds of questions. That's probably one of the most important skills you need.

Most questions should be geared towards application instead of recall and that takes learning the material like the back of your hand Bc one word change can change your answer. The npte is like that so it'll be good practice. And a lot of the times on the boards you have to pick the most correct answer and all four choices may be correct so it tests your clinical application skills

DPT Summer 1 - DONE. Time to go backpacking far away from the city!

WARNING: Long Post.

Here's a general overview of MY EXPERIENCE this summer for those who are curious (or are on break and finally have time to read here on SND) as well as for future reference to those who happen to come across this thread.

I agree that all of my exams for Anatomy Lecture, Physiology, Neuroscience had a ton of clinically oriented questions. I finished the summer term with a 4.0 by changing the way I looked at the material and aimed to understand the concepts inside and out. I spent hours, days, weeks to understand everything in-depth. This led me to find all of these types of questions relatively "simple" just because I knew what was correct and what was not. Don't get me wrong, it has been the hardest summer of my life, but I got through it by not getting behind and using every available resource available.

When I was studying Anatomy Lab structures, I always studied lecture there as well. It worked both ways. I remember dissecting the infratemporal fossa and identifying the structure there needed for lab exam, but I also tried to connect everything together with problem-based questions just like the gun-shot question below. I also went and talked about the ganglia and parasympathetics in the head with my lab partner as we were dissecting...this made studying for lecture so much easier since we could always think back to the moment when we found stuff and placed it all together in lab.

Neuroscience was the toughest subject to understand and I did have a hard time to understand some things, especially the tracts and their roles. The basal ganglia was fun, but the UMN & LMN lesions were my favorite. :)

Physiology was the second easiest subject, but still required comprehension of the material to answer all of the questions with confidence.

My final class was the easiest course this summer and very fun to study for. It was a 1 credit PT course that included 2 written exams (that were specifically scheduled to work with anatomy so we had all of the muscles down) on origin, insertion, action and innervation of muscles (UE exam 1, LE exam 2) and a final practical exam where we drew 4 bony landmarks out of a stack, 5 muscles out of another stack, and 1 dermatome (C2 to S2) out of a final stack. We then had 10 minutes to organize ourselves and performed the clinical type introduction and palpation, testing, identification and explanation of all of these structures to a patient (classmate).

I drew:
Muscles: gracilis, lateral deltoid, extensor carpi radialis brevis, flexor digitorum longus, peroneus longus
Bony landmarks: medial epicondyle of humerus, spine of scapula, head of fibula, base of patella
Dermatome: T1

I introduced myself, and explained to the patient what I was planning to do and asked if she had a sports bra and was okay to take of her shirt for the palpation as well as for her shoes and socks. I then asked for a minute to organize myself as I drew the cards and arranged them to run the practical more smoothly. I started by asking her to stand up and explaining what a dermatome was and and pin-pointed T1 on her body. I then placed my hand on the lateral side of her elbow and asked her to push into my head while keeping the elbow straight (I also demonstrated) and pinpointed where the lateral deltoid was. I asked her to turn around and I went on to palpate the spine of the scapula. I asked her to then face me and have a seat on the examining table. I went on to palpate the medial epicondyle of the humerus and then explained that I was going to check for a muscle in her forearm. I palpated the muscle belly and tendon of extensor carpi radialis brevis while asking her to make a fist with her palm down and bend the wrist up and towards her thumb while I resisted the movement. I then asked for permission to go down to the leg and went on to palpate the base of the patella and head of the fibula. I then went towards the medial aspect of her tibia and palpate the pes anserine; I flexed her knee and asked her to keep it flexed as I pulled on it so I could feel the three tendons more prominently. I felt the tendon of gracilis and told her to resist while I push on the inside of her knee (to test for adduction) in order to feel the tendon "pop" into my finger. Afterwards, I went down to her foot and asked if she could point her toes to the floor and bring the outside of her foot towards her nose to palpate the muscle belly of peroneus longus as well the tendon going posterior to the lateral malleolus. Finally, I asked if she could relax and then point her toes again towards the floor, but this time to also curl her toes down as I tried to resist them in order to palpate the tendons for flexor digitorum longus. I went on to find the tendon running posterior to the tendon of tibialis posterior running behind the medial malleolus as she did the toe flexion and plantarflexion of the foot.

I remember making my own notecards and getting together with different classmates and drawing them out as we practiced for hours on the weekend. This was very fun and challenging to not only palpate efficiently, but also to organize and make the palpations transition smoothly from bony to muscle to bone all while attempting to make the patient as comfortable as possible.

Here are some sample questions for my 3 toughest courses. Anatomy Lab practicals were just structure identification which you pretty much knew what it was if you studied enough.

Anatomy:
A woman has injured her wrist in a fall, and experiences tingling of the fingers and a weakened grip. A
lateral X-ray of her wrist reveals that her lunate has dislocated and is pressing on the structures within the
carpal tunnel. Which of the following structures are found within the carpal tunnel?

A. Palmaris longus
B. Ulnar nerve
C. Flexor carpi ulnaris
D. Flexor carpi radialis
E. Flexor pollicis longus

A self-inflicted gun shot is producing severe bleeding in the posterior nasal cavity of a 19-year-old woman.
As an emergency measure to stop the bleeding you are asked to ligate (tie off) her right maxillary artery at
its origin. Which artery could still provide its normal blood flow after this procedure?
A. Inferior alveolar artery
B. Middle meningeal artery
C. Lingual artery
D. Mylohyoid artery
E. Mental artery

Neuroscience:
A patient presents to the emergency room with a stab wound to the mid back which severed the left half of his spinal cord.
Which of the following are the likely sensory deficits?

A) No touch/proprioception on R leg, No pain on L
B) No touch/proprioception on R leg,No pain on R
C) No touch/proprioception on L leg, No pain on R
D) No touch/proprioception on L leg, No pain on L

A woman severed her spinal cord at T8 in a car accident visits your clinic for a routine checkup. When you test her left leg pain response it jerks back and her right leg kicks forward. How is this possible?
A. This is a miracle and she can now walk
B. She was faking her injury for workers compensation
C. Her spinal synapses have regenerated her spinothalamic pathway
D. You activated the flexion cross extension spinal reflex

Physiology:

The Babinksi reflex is used to test for damage to the:
A. basal ganglia
B. Golgi tendon organs
C. cerebellum
D. corticospinal pyramidal motor system
E. muscle spindle organs

An elderly nursing home resident has had severe diarrhea for 3 days. He is brought to the emergency room, and blood gases were drawn. The arterial blood sample showed the following: pH = 7.30; PCO2 = 30 mmHg; HCO3 = 17 mEq/L. The most likely correct interpretation of this patient's acid-base status would be:
A. respiratory acidosis
B. respiratory alkalosis
C. metabolic acidosis
D. metabolic alkalosis
E. he has a normal acid-base status

Anatomy: E, C
Neuro: C, D
Phys: D, C

Well another week is down. I'm late with my post :). It seems so far (knock on wood) that this semester is not going to be nearly as hectic as summer. The pace seems a lot slower. I'm definitely feeling much more comfortable so far. I also have a lot more free time, which is a plus :) I have some new professors and they are awesome! I can safely say I have yet to have a bad professor. Anyway, I feel like I'm in a routine now. I wish I had some earth shattering advice to offer, but I'm at a loss :)

I'm starting week 2 in my program and they are easing us into it very nicely. I have the following classes:

1. Anatomy
  2. Foundations of PT Practice
  3. Kinesiology
  4. Clinical Medicine
All my classes are 5 units, with the exception of Clinical Medicine which is only 1 unit. The Clinical Medicine class only has 1 exam for the whole semester which is a take home final, so I am putting that class on the back burner lol. We also tend to get out of class earlier on M W F, as we don't always have lab for Foundations of PT Practice, so I am having more free time than I anticipated. It seems that the two hardest classes will be anatomy and kinesiology. I am a little bit anxious about the Foundations class as that is when you are tested on "hands on" activities (such as how to put on a gown, cap, and mask properly), which is something I have never done while taking the pre-reqs. So far, so good though!