First Year Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnowyDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to start school next week and I must say, I'm getting quite the anxiety about it. Anybody else in the same boat? I'm nervous about the class load with anatomy and physiology

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely in the same boat. I'm very nervous as I prepare for the first week. I've always worked hard and pushed hard to be a great student, but it makes me wonder if this will be any different in that regard. How long will it take me to adjust? Will my classmates and I encourage and help each other through the stress?

I'm starting in just under a week and a half and I'm getting nervous too! I'm most nervous about my study style...undergrad was pretty easy to just memorize to pass exams. Few classes were more about understanding the material. I also took anatomy two years ago, and this semester is so focused on anatomy. I'm gonna miss all my free time!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in this situation in May (my program started in the summer semester). Nothing will cure your nervousness until you start. That's just the way it is. But let me tell you, you'll be fine! You'll learn more anatomy than you ever knew existed...but you will get through it. I even had some free time believe it or not. You'll adjust quickly, and you will find students who's study habits align with yours. I have a great group of classmates and that makes it easy to study with them. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I am about to start my third semester and have learned so much not only in the classroom, but how to adjust to studying for such a heavy workload. It will seem extremely daunting at first, but just remember, everyone feels that way. There will be some trial and error in figuring out how to study for different classes, my biggest piece of advice is to be open to new studying techniques. Use your cadavers to study for the lecture exams, get a dry erase board, find someone who you match up with in studying styles, practice your techniques on as many people as you can, use people who are not in PT school to practice how to explain things to patients, and most importantly don't be afraid to talk to your professors! Get to know them, ask lots of questions, and schedule help outside of class if you need it. Remember you are going to be in a room with lots of smart people, it is not a competition, support each other and make sure you take care of yourself. It is a lot of work and can be very overwhelming at times, but you will love it! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice! I've also found that going on rollercoasters helps too. It gave me something to be more nervous about than starting pt school haha

In all seriousness though, I'm mostly excited to start learning again! I took a year off between undergrad and pt school, and anatomy lab was my favorite part of undergrad. We had cadavers to look at and touch, so I'm looking forward to actually dissecting and learning a lot more about anatomy from them.