First-Year DPT student AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amlope03

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a first-year DPT student at the University of Kentucky! I remember having a lot of questions when I was applying to schools this time last year, so I'm willing to answer any questions you all may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Is grad school really that hard? I’ve been hearing stories how demanding grad school is and it’s starting to scare me if I can really pull it off. Is it that hard or just time consuming?

From my experience, I'd say a little of both; however, it's still doable. Grad school depends on a lot of different factors like the degree (master, doctorate, etc), the school itself, your undergrad experience, and so on. If you get accepted into a PT program that means they think you're capable of handling it, so don't worry about it too much!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for answering our questions! Just curious as to how you chose to commit to your current PT school. I know acceptance/rejection letters aren't all out yet, but I'm definitely stumped on how to pick a school.

Was UK the best financial option for you or the best PT program that fit you as a person, or a combination of both? The tuition of all of my schools range anywhere from 90K-150K. There are some programs that I like better than others, but they are much more expensive than the programs that I am I would say, less interested in. My top choices are around the 120K ish range.

I'd like to think that even with the debt that I walk out with, I'd still be able to live a decently OK life while paying my debt (assuming I don't spend lavishly), knowing that PTs make a decently pretty penny. I'm 21 with no undergrad debt so I feel like that gives me plenty of time to think about future savings, 401K, etc. etc. I think it's worth the money to pay more for a school that I am really really interested in vs a school that best fits my financial needs but is perhaps, lower on my list. I am not sure if I am just being naive and unrealistic about the situation though.

Do you think I should choose the cheapest school that accepts me or the school that I think fits me best? Would love to pick your brain and hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited:
I chose UK based on $, because there really is no way of telling if you are a good "fit" before you decide on school- in my opinon.

There are a lot of different fields in PT, but if you go to a more expensive school that'll limit your options. Think of going to a cheaper school as investing in your future, even if I don't "love" the school (UK is actually my alma mater's rival).

So I'd say choose the cheapest school over the school you think might fit you best!

Thank you for taking time to do this! I was wondering how you prepared for interviews and do you remember what type of questions were asked/ good questions to prepare for?

I think the best way to prepare for interviews is to look at the school-specific posts on here (people normally posted pretty accurate descriptions of the interview day and questions that were asked).

My program doesn’t start until June 2019. Currently working as a PT aide, and taking physics part 2 next semester. What else do you recommend I do during my gap year. Just want to make sure I’m fully prepared.

I'm still willing to answer questions!

How many schools did you apply to/how many offered you acceptances. Would you also be willing to post your stats if you remember them? Again, thank you so much for taking time to do this!

My program doesn’t start until June 2019. Currently working as a PT aide, and taking physics part 2 next semester. What else do you recommend I do during my gap year. Just want to make sure I’m fully prepared.

Enjoy your time off as much as you can!

How many schools did you apply to/how many offered you acceptances. Would you also be willing to post your stats if you remember them? Again, thank you so much for taking time to do this!

I applied to 8 schools and I was accepted to 6.

My stats were: cGPA: 3.93, pGPA: GPA: ~3.73, GRE: V 152, Q 154, 4.0 AWA

I applied to 8 schools and I was accepted to 6.

My stats were: cGPA: 3.93, pGPA: GPA: ~3.73, GRE: V 152, Q 154, 4.0 AWA
For the schools that you didn't get into, do you happen to know why you didn't?

For the schools that you didn't get into, do you happen to know why you didn't?

Each school has its own criteria for students and I think I wasn't what they were looking for. Simply put, you're more than likely not going to get accepted at EVERY school you apply.

Do you think I should choose the cheapest school that accepts me or the school that I think fits me best? Would love to pick your brain and hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Pick the school that best fits you. After all, you are going to be spending three pivotal years of your life getting this degree. Would you rather attend a school where you really don't want to be at, but it's cheap? Or would you pay more money and be at a school you absolutely love? I personally am choosing the latter.