First year of practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footbasket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

For those of you who have just/recently finished their first year of private practice doing general surg path, which atlases or books did you find most helpful in your day to day use.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Expertpath subscription.
I have seen ads for this but I don't think anyone in my group has tried it. Could you explain in a little bit more detail what it offers (links to textbook chapters?) and why you find it particularly helpful versus looking things up in subspecialty textbook and/or browsing pubmed for relevant articles. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure. I love the amirsys books but they're very costly. expertpath is from the same company and is essentially the content of the amirsys books all collated into an online database that is searchable across topics, and I also believe that it is regularly updated.

I think it is a very valuable resource and I highly recommend it.
I think they have a free trial period going now. I'm not a shill for them either; I genuinely think that is a great resource.

I just started in the grown up world and I'm using ExpertPath daily. Sadly, my training program must have realized I didn't work there anymore, so no more free candy as of today so I'm going to pony up the money after the trial period.

I'm a path book hoarder (if you're moving offices and getting rid of your old kidney books, I'm the one going through your trash) and I like to read them to get more general information if there's a lull in the day or if I'm looking for something specific, but if I want a quick reminder with good descriptions mid sign out, ddx's, and pictures that don't lead to broken links (no offense pathoutlines), expert path is pretty stellar and up to date.

I don't shill for them either, and as a lost generation/borderline millennial, I hate paying subscription fees for anything (the day I pay for Netflix will be the day of my divorce), but they are honestly worth it and I will plunk down the cash for them.

I didn't even know that ExpertPath existed. After looking at it for the trial period yesterday and showing it to a colleague in my group, we're going to inquire about a group rate.

As a side note, I once calculated what purchasing all the Amyrsis books would cost, and it's as near as makes no difference $8,000. So, paying a couple hundred bucks/year for a complete, mobile, and constantly updated resource isn't that bad when you think about it.

I too agree. ExpertPath is wonderful. Their corresponding resource of ImmunoQuery is also very helpful. My group has both and I use both daily. Totally worth it.