First Year Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarquetteGuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am going to be a first year podiatry student at Des Moines this coming fall, and I was wondering if I could ask you all a few questions since you all seem to be very knowledgeable about the profession and the ins and outs of everything. I was wondering what kind of advice you would give a first year coming in starting out? What types of things did you do in order to make yourself the best candidate possible for the best residencies 3-year surgical residencies? What are some of the best 3-year surgical residencies? How much could the average 3-year surgical resident plan on making when coming out of residency and practicing somewhere in the midwest(MIlwaukee-Chicago area)? Is there any other advice you could pass my way in order to best prepare myself for coming into school and for how to become the best candidate I can be for residency? Also, where are some of the best places for students to live in Des Moines? Thank you very much for any advice/info you can offer. I really appreciate any help you may be able to give.

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

MarquetteGuy said:
Hi, I am going to be a first year podiatry student at Des Moines this coming fall, and I was wondering if I could ask you all a few questions since you all seem to be very knowledgeable about the profession and the ins and outs of everything. I was wondering what kind of advice you would give a first year coming in starting out? What types of things did you do in order to make yourself the best candidate possible for the best residencies 3-year surgical residencies? What are some of the best 3-year surgical residencies? How much could the average 3-year surgical resident plan on making when coming out of residency and practicing somewhere in the midwest(MIlwaukee-Chicago area)? Is there any other advice you could pass my way in order to best prepare myself for coming into school and for how to become the best candidate I can be for residency? Also, where are some of the best places for students to live in Des Moines? Thank you very much for any advice/info you can offer. I really appreciate any help you may be able to give.

Thank you very much.

The best thing you can do to become a better candidate for residency is to not worry so much about them and do well in school. This is not to say that you shouldnt research programs while in school. But focus on your grades during your first year. At DMU, you wont have much time to worry about anything else. Try to become involved also with clubs (being a president or officer, only second year) and get in on some research. DMU is really pushing to expand their research right now so get in on it when you feel you have the time. That is one thing I wish I did more. Good luck and welcome to the family.

Rob is not only a genius; he's also an amazing gymnast.

All kidding aside, he hit the nail on the head. Study, study, study. That is your job as a first year, and also try not to go crazy studying that is your other job.

The better you grades, the more knowledge base you've built. The more basic knowledge the better your board scores and the more prepared you are for clinical.

Another thought is start reading articles. They won’t make a lick of sense but if you get in the habit of reading one a night, it will be easier later on in your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr_Feelgood said:
Rob is not only a genius; he's also an amazing gymnast.

All kidding aside, he hit the nail on the head. Study, study, study. That is your job as a first year, and also try not to go crazy studying that is your other job.

The better you grades, the more knowledge base you've built. The more basic knowledge the better your board scores and the more prepared you are for clinical.

Another thought is start reading articles. They won’t make a lick of sense but if you get in the habit of reading one a night, it will be easier later on in your career.

I couldnt have done it without Dr. Feelpeachy right there by my side. As for my gymnastic skills, do you think anyone's gonna want a round-house kick to the face while Im wearing these bad-boys?" (picture me pointing to my american flag shorts.)

Going along with what the others said, just be willing to put in as much time as it takes. For most students, it is a huge time commitment. Those that put in the time do fine. Those that don't usually won't make it.