First Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HCE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to all you folks starting your intern year. Bring Rolaids. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Heck - I'm the one who needs the PPI. Med/Surg/Neuro/OB interns KILLING me with ticky-tack consults. Just need to keep reminding myself that in 6 weeks or so things will be better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heck - I'm the one who needs the PPI. Med/Surg/Neuro/OB interns KILLING me with ticky-tack consults. Just need to keep reminding myself that in 6 weeks or so things will be better.

You mean something like, "68 yo female with a UTI who is on a vent in the ICU and not responding to all our questions...Please evaluate for depression"? :thumbup:

You mean something like, "68 yo female with a UTI who is on a vent in the ICU and not responding to all our questions...Please evaluate for depression"? :thumbup:

Yes - like that, except "... on a vent in the ICU for the last 5 weeks, deeply sedated, please evaluate for PTSD."

or....

"no history of mental illness, adm at 30 weeks pregnancy with PTL, can you tell us how she'll cope if her baby goes to the NICU?"

or...

"Bipolar, off her meds due to pregnancy now at 32 weeks, not currently manic or depressed, should we put her back on meds?"

or...

"Known alcoholic with h/o DTs. Adm with HTN, tremor, and perceptual disturbances. ? schizophrenia."

Still... it's good job security I guess.

Last edited:
Friend of mine used to love to tell the story of the only time he's ever seen "appropriate" use of a particular old personality disorder diagnosis.

C/L Psych called to evaluate if pt in ICU should start on antidepressants.
Pt found in bed, on vent, in chemically-induced coma.

Dx: Inadequate Personality Disorder