Fischer projections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBP12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are these important to know at all for the DAT? I don't care for them at all and don't need them to determine R/S so do I need to know them?

Members don't see this ad.

Fischer projections are important, but you shouldn't stress about them! Just think of them as the molecule giving you a hug. The side arms reach out to you and give you a hug. The head and legs bend away from you.

Also, you should be able to go from fischer to haworth projections. Anomeric carbon- alpha looks like a fish, fish swim, so the -OH is down. Beta for bird, birds fly so -OH is up. for carbons 2,3,4 the right side of the fischer projection is down and the left side us up.

upload_2015-5-22_21-36-18.png
upload_2015-5-22_21-37-27.png

Are these important to know at all for the DAT? I don't care for them at all and don't need them to determine R/S so do I need to know them?

The Fischer projection is VERY important, if you go back to the previous years of old ADA exams they are used extensively on the DAT. It's imperative you know how to do these and be able to determine R/S if one, two or three chiral carbons are present.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano