Fish and Chips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wardens

Long arm of the law
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks. I'm new to the forum, and I have just have a quick, but esoteric question. I'm heading off to oxford in a week for junior year abroad. I've got my mcats out of the way and am anxiously awaiting the results, but in the meantime, I'm also a little worried about med school applications and my grades from next year. I read somewhere that med-schools won't get my grades from oxford until well after secondaries and such mainly because the program runs until late june. Any of you have any idea how med schools will look upon only having grades from the first two years (if this is even the case for any of you who may have had a similar situation?) ? I mean, I've done well enough in my first two years so i'm not too worried about pulling up grades. Well, any thoughts are appreciated. Peace for now.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Wardens
Hey Folks. I'm new to the forum, and I have just have a quick, but esoteric question. I'm heading off to oxford in a week for junior year abroad. I've got my mcats out of the way and am anxiously awaiting the results, but in the meantime, I'm also a little worried about med school applications and my grades from next year. I read somewhere that med-schools won't get my grades from oxford until well after secondaries and such mainly because the program runs until late june. Any of you have any idea how med schools will look upon only having grades from the first two years (if this is even the case for any of you who may have had a similar situation?) ? I mean, I've done well enough in my first two years so i'm not too worried about pulling up grades. Well, any thoughts are appreciated. Peace for now.

What's the relation to fish and chips?

But speaking of fish and chips, I went to a "fish & chips" joint yesterday for lunch and I had fried fish with fried rice...it was off the hook.

Carry on.....

amcas didn't even want my foreign coursework. i could have pulled straight c's my junior year, and no one would have even known! if your school accepts oxford's grades, amcas will want the transcript. if not (you end up with p/f on your u.s. school's transcript), they won't want it.
why won't oxford be able to send a transcript in the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
the relation? Oxford is in england.

But anyway, I didn't understand either why it wouldn't work out that oxford couldn't send my grades. I just read someone else's post who said they only had grades from the first two years after doing the program. Maybe i just need some clarification. I will be filling out amcas in august, however, and they won't send grades independently by term, hence i won't get them until mid-september or so. My school does accept the grades, but shows pass/fail on the school transcript. I just guessed that you would send separate transcripts like you would if you took a summer course. Anyone else do this oxford thing or another late full-year program?

Originally posted by Wardens
the relation? Oxford is in england.

Oh yes yes..that's right. Sorry my stomach has been doing all the talking today.

if your school shows pass/fail on the transcript, amcas will not allow you to submit your oxford transcript. they would be interested in, say, community college coursework taken in the u.s. but not courses taken at a foreign school. it seems crazy, doesn't it? so... you will basically be applying with only your freshman & sophomore grades. try to get a letter of rec from a tutor at oxford so you can show you did well/worked hard during that year.

What kind of program are you doing at Oxford? I'm very interested.

according to the London Times, fish and chips is no longer the #1 british fast food. Instead curry and chips is preferred.

thanks for listening....

oh yeah, and have fun! deciding to study abroad was the best decision i made in college.
curry and chips, huh? those crazy british people ;) i prefer kebabs.

Originally posted by lola
oh yeah, and have fun! deciding to study abroad was the best decision i made in college.
curry and chips, huh? those crazy british people ;) i prefer kebabs.

Those tend to be more popular in the midlands/north. Curry and chips is britain-wide. Either however go well after a few pints of british bitter. :)

Hey Bushbaby, sorry if that was a little blunt.

Thanks everyone for your help. That's interesting that they want nothing to do with those grades. All the better for me I suppose, and the reccomendation idea is a good one. SolidGold, the program is a one-year visiting student at mansfield college in which i can only take philosophy classes. The break from science will be nice, if not a little disconcerting, but it'll be fun to design my own courses. Overall I'm pumped.

Originally posted by the boy wonder
according to the London Times, fish and chips is no longer the #1 british fast food. Instead curry and chips is preferred.

thanks for listening....

Note that fish and chips is properly served in newspaper. I wonder how they serve curry and chips...

-RA