Fixing my sordid past....I need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

f50cardio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been reading through this forum for quite awhile and decided it was time post my story for some advice. I will preface this story with this: I am fully aware of my mistakes and have done everything I can to fix them to my ability.

Personal history:
Diagnosed with ADHD at a young age but ignored it (didn't take meds etc), just "got by" in high school. Went to university for 2 years with a mediocre/crap GPA (2.8), transfered to finish my 2 years out-of-state.
This is where it gets interesting: I allowed my environment to influence me rather drastically and lost all focus on school and a career in medicine. Trashed my GPA. The school put me on probation (I could return after 1 semester off) but I did not return immediately.

I transfered BACK to the original university for a semester but, still lacking sense or focus, screwed up that entire semester.

At this point, I took some more time off and really put my life back on track: broke it off with the Gf that was dragging me down, left the fraternity, stopped drinking, started a really nice job, found a new apartment close to work and school, have a gym and study schedule, sought out counselling for the ADHD and the list goes on.
I reapplied to the university I transfered to and am doing really well. I have found a way to delete some of the bad grades and genuinely get myself back on the track for medical school (if it's possible)

It's a bit confusing and stupid/terrible/utterly morinic, I know, but I have a question:

If I did not make my current university aware that I transfered back, what are the appropriate steps to correct this? I assume if I apply anywhere they will want to see final transcripts from both universities separately plus hiding it is just dishonest and literally keeps me up at night.

Thank you in advance for any input. I realize this sounds rather crazy which is exactly why I need to find a soluton asap. Talking with the university is something I am fully aware I need to do at some point (asap) but I wanted to hear some potential scenarios first.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I do not know the specifics of your school, but I checked my schools application and academic policy and my school, for example, specifically asks about any academic probabtion/suspension/dismissal by any other college and lying on the application would be grounds for immediate dismissal.
So, you might consider informing your college and face the music.
Remember that you can always return to college after a year+ working. They want your money.

As to med school, AMCAS requires all and any transcripts from any university you have ever attended. And they will factor in your grades into GPA for purposes of med school application. There seem to have been a calculator floating on the SDN that would help you figure out your true GPA as of now.

Fixing the GPA will take time. Especially if you have taken a lot of credits and messed up a good deal of them.

Hmm...not sure how to answer the question about not making the university aware that you transferred back. Are you saying that you reapplied to your current university as if you'd never attended before and didn't mention your previous time there? Maybe clarifying your post with University A and University B will help. Regardless, when you apply to medical school you MUST provide transcripts from all of the post-secondary schools you have attended so no way around that. If you're using the same name and identifying info I would guess that the school has a record of all the courses you attempted there. Don't know if you'll get much help on this off of the forum, but if you're still anxious about talking to the school you can request an unofficial transcript first and see what it says. As you said yourself in your post, you need to get this taken care of sooner rather than later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...not sure how to answer the question about not making the university aware that you transferred back. Are you saying that you reapplied to your current university as if you'd never attended before and didn't mention your previous time there? Maybe clarifying your post with University A and University B will help. Regardless, when you apply to medical school you MUST provide transcripts from all of the post-secondary schools you have attended so no way around that. If you're using the same name and identifying info I would guess that the school has a record of all the courses you attempted there. Don't know if you'll get much help on this off of the forum, but if you're still anxious about talking to the school you can request an unofficial transcript first and see what it says. As you said yourself in your post, you need to get this taken care of sooner rather than later.

OK, started at university A (2 years there). Transferred to university B (1 year there but messed up. went on probation) Signed up and took classes at University A for 1 semester (still unfocused, I messed up there too). Took more time off and got my **** together. Transferred BACK to University B (this is where my question comes into play. Did not make them aware of the 1 semester i took/messed up)

I would give just about anything to erase that semester I idiotically transferred back to. It was just part of a string of terrible life choices I was making at the time and i realize this now. To be honest, I kicked the idea around (albeit very momentarily) of just letting it go but then University B could ask for transcripts at anytime (say graduation) and I would be screwed. Not to mention feel terrible about it.
I'm finally getting back on track with my life plans but am afraid this could set me back. Big. Thanks to those who have replied thus far.

Thanks for the clarification F50. I would definitely concur with Woland and say that you need to bring this up with your university and get it straightened out. A low GPA will require a lot of repair, but doing that hard work can pay off in the end whereas omitting that semester or being dishonest about it will probably just come back to bite you in the butt. That being said you should inquire as to whether or not your university has some sort of academic forgiveness policy. Since it has been some time since your previous stint there, if you have a compelling reason for your poor performance that could work in your favor. I wish you all the best!