FL Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nealraj006

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
19 year old Asian male
Will be applying summer of 2013 for class of 2018
cGPA: 3.88
sGPA: 3.73
MCAT: 30Q – 10 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS
Working on a B.S. in Biology.

My only 3 B’s were in Physics 2 and Organic Chemistry 1 and 2.
Most of my prerequisistes were done at a Community College while simultaneously enrolled in high school(dual enrollment) except Organic Chemistry 2. I’ve talked to an ADCOM member at a local medical school who said it shouldn’t be a problem if I take higher level science courses, which I am in the process of doing.

So far, I’ve taken: Biology 1+2, Gen Chemistry 1+2, Organic Chemistry 1+2(no lab yet), Physics 1+2, Genetics, Anatomy and Physiology 1, and Human Biology.
In the fall I’ll be taking: Human Physiology, Molecular Cell Biology, Ecology, Immunology, and Organic Chemistry Lab.

Extracurriculars:
141 hours volunteering at a local hospital
2 trips to India for charity medical work – about 45 hours each trip. Planning a 3rd trip this year
12 hours shadowing a DO family physician
Shadowed 2 chiropractors and my father – an MD
Work for my father’s pain management office, doing medical records and billing – part time for 3 years
Dean’s list

Florida Resident
I’m planning on applying to these schools in state:
USF – MD My brother attends this school
FSU – MD
UCF – MD My father is an associate professor at this school
NSU – DO
LECOM-B – DO

I haven’t considered other schools yet and have a lot of work to do still. I still need to ask for LOR from everyone, write personal statement, and I am hoping to do research starting in spring 2013. I know who to ask for the LORs, but I just have not had a chance yet to do so. Any tips on improving my application would be appreciated.

I’m still torn between DO and MD because of a few reasons. I’m genuinely interested in the physical aspect of medicine that osteopathy offers, but the MD degree is internationally recognized. A DO has equal practice rights in the USA and a few other countries, but there are a significant amount of countries that a DO can’t practice in yet. I’m not sure how competitive I am for MD schools either.

Thanks for reading!
Besides the planned research, leadership, teaching (TA, tutor, coach, mentor), and nonmedical community service also make an application stronger and give evidence of maturity. Also be sure to have some interesting hobbies and and/or artistic involvement.