Technology Flash vs. SD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancinjenn

I'm ready for my close up
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have a question. Wayne requires us to get a PDA and recommends the Toshiba e800 which has Flash...no clue what that is so a concise definition would be nice if anyone has it, it is very hard to find on the internet. I bought a HP 4155 which has a SD slot for extra memory.

Are flash and the SD the same? What is flash? Can I substitute SD for flash? etc, etc, etc...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i have the HP4155 also.

are you referring to COMPACT FLASH?

if so, SD vs CF are totally different type of cards. you already have the 4155 so a CF will do you no good.

SD is new tech, faster transfer rates, and alot more compact than CF. yeah, funny huh? CF is a cheaper media, and i have seen up to 4GB storage space. i think i've only seen 1 or 2GB for SD.

there's also a term, when dealing with PDA's is FLASHABLE ROM. that's nothing to do with the media cards. it's the built in memory for that holds the operating system.

if i am misunderstanding your issue, please tell me so, but i think you're talking about CF.

Yeah i'm talking about CF. I actually talked with the IT support guru at Wayne today and he said that the only reason why CF was required was for the third years who got a program on it. He also said that my hp4155 was good enough and that he is sure that the technology for the PDA's would change by the time I needed something for third year...so I don't have to get the Toshiba...woo hoo...save myself $300 dollars more.

Members don't see this ad :)
oddly enough for digital cameras, CF's seem to be the new standard. I though xD would be it but it does nto seem to be the case.

But i guess SD for Palms right now and CF's for digicams (though some brands utilize other storage methods)

FLASH without question.

your choice for flash doesnt have anything to do with your name now does it? ;)