Flashback!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mereafterthough

Cornell DVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just thought it would be fun for those of us who are going to vet school in a few months (yikes!) to remember what we were doing a year ago today. I can't believe a year has gone by so quickly. Thinking back on what was going on this time 1 year ago definitely makes me more happy than I already am (and grateful) that I'm going to vet school and my dreams will come true. We've all come a long way. So...here I go:

A year ago:

-I was days away from taking the GRE (barf) for the first time (scared as all hell, and unaware I was going to do HORRIBLY) and cramming as many vocab words into my brain as I possibly could. I was also working my butt off as a senior to get latin honors so that I could have a small fraction more of a chance of getting into vet school. I also had no idea what I was going to write for my personal statement (although I knew what ideas I wanted to be in it), and my final list of vets schools wasn't even formulated. I also remember questioning my academic advisors advice because she thought I was absolutely ready to apply to vet school and I was convinced I needed at least two years off to be qualified (guess who was right ;)). Oh and I was stressing over finding large animal experience to gather before I applied in just a few short months. lol

Members don't see this ad.

A year ago today....I was probably still mourning my 5th (and last) rejection of that cycle, from A&M. Probably hadn't even scheduled my post-mortem yet either. I'd also be dreading going to class the next couple of days and hearing about all the people I didn't know talking about their acceptances.

Also was trying to debate between a Masters in Immunology (which would've been more fun and prevented me from applying this year) and an MBA (which I went with and, while boring, was good because it allowed me to apply this year). Aside from that, I'd have been wondering what it must feel like to be accepted and know what you're going to be doing for an actual career.

I was taking the Kaplan class!!! lol also cramming vocab words in my brain. Then the normal routine...work and volunteering at clinics. I don't think vet school will be real until i move to philly!!! so excited though

Members don't see this ad :)
A year ago today I had just come back from Spring Break in the Dominican with my sorority sisters. Woooo!

I was working full time, and liked my job a lot more then than I do now. Same hosptal and all, it's just gone downhill quite a bit.

I was also mourning the fact that I was stuck working for another year instead of going to vet school, and had probably just recieved Rejection #7 of 7.

A year ago today I had just come back from Spring Break in the Dominican with my sorority sisters. Woooo!

lol I'm glad at least some of us weren't suffering a year ago. lol

A year ago I was at my friend's bridal shower drinking mimosas and afterwards helped organize all of her gifts into two piles: keepers and the return pile (I was the maid of honor). I was working for a vet hospital and very miserable since things weren't going well, mostly because I was stressed about the app cycle coming up (my first and only, turns out THANK GOD). Also freaking out about finishing up pre-reqs (physics and pre-calc) in the fall.

i'd had no animal contact (except for mice) for over a year, and it was not happy times
Oi I hear that! I worked at the vet school's clin path lab for about...3/4 of a year, and was like "no mo!" at a certain point. Realized that I simply can't bear not working with animals.

a year ago today, i was working full time in a lab and just received our new transgenic mouse line. i had no idea what i was doing at work, and my douchebag ex was cheating on me at home. i'd had no animal contact (except for mice) for over a year, and it was not happy times! oh, and one of my closest friends seemed like she was getting eaten alive by parasites she had been harboring for years... and we were all worried she was going to die.

Minnerbelle, care to explain the parasite situation? I'm intrigued, haha.

And I was trying to spend every last possible minute with my closest friends before graduation. I wasn't even sure at that point if I was even applying to vet school that year (I didn't even start my apps until August, heh). I really had no confidence that I'd get in, and I proved myself wrong..thankfully. I'm very happy, but it won't be real for me until the first day of class. I still think it's a joke, or they're going to lose my deposit and I'll never be enrolled, or I'll trip on a rock, fall and die before I actually get there...etc.

I still think it's a joke, or they're going to lose my deposit and I'll never be enrolled, or I'll trip on a rock, fall and die before I actually get there...etc.

Don't say things like this, with your luck this could actually happen (minus the dying part). lol

I was listening to my friends go on about how they were in their last quarter of school, and being bummed that I still had a summer and another quarter to go. Senioritis kills. Finishing up my last lax games with the team, and mourning over that being over too - I miss it even more now! I was only just barely beginning to plan for the application cycle, too.

I was helping rehab my italian greyhound who had just rebroken his leg. We had just finished the rehab maybe a week before from the removal of the plate inserted the previous year for a broken leg. He broke it tripping on a pillow!

Yes, Memorizing GRE vocab sounds very familiar.

And was still working full-time. Ah, those golden days of high income, gone forever.

LOL. I love everyone's stories! Let's see if I can remember what I was doing a year ago...

April 2009 I was finishing up my last year at the beautiful University of Arizona and getting ready to graduate in May!:D

I had just found out my mom's breast cancer moved to the other breast and metastasized to the T8 vertebra. :( She was scheduled for a double mastectomy that next week and wasn't sure she'd be able to make it to my graduation.

I was still working nights at the ER animal clinic and loving the ER team (due to turnover that quickly changed. Now I happily work days!:)).

Ultimately, that next month my mom did make it to my graduation and threw me an awesome luau-themed grad party! Before I walked across the stage at my graduation, I wrote on my name card: "I love my mom!". The announcer read it, the audience "awed", I almost cried, and my family cheered! :love:

This time last year plus a week or so, I was consoling myself with puppy love at the shelter and convincing my husband that we didn't have time to think about it cuz THAT PUPPY might not be there tomorrow. >< After all, puppies go fast in the shelter during spring. :D

Other than that, not much has changed. Was working the same full time reception job that I'm still working now, living in the same house, hanging out with mostly the same friends. The house is a little more covered in animal hair, and has the lovely addition of chew-marks in various bits of wood, but it's all good. Can't help but be excited that I'll be starting Vet School in the fall though!