flashy ems recruitment campaign

Discussion in 'Pre-Hospital [ EMS ]' started by sanford_w/o_son, Nov 16, 2005.

1. sanford_w/o_son

sanford_w/o_son locl jnky-gota thred man?
    5+ Year Member

2. nonlethal

nonlethal huzzah!
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

wow.
    If ever there was a time to say "cheesy" I think this would be it.
    Almost as bad as talking to a military recruiter, who paints this really cool, super highspeed picture, and then you get to boot camp for a rude awakening....

3. thirdunity

thirdunity Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hahahahaha. Crap. When I did my first ridealong I got the impression EMT-Basic was more like "GomerTaxi". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm going after it because for one, I live in the boonies and it's a reasonably laid back job I can do while I'm finishing school, lots of study time between calls.

4. Emt wanb

Emt wanb New Member

Other Health Professions Student
    :scared: To say that i am nervous about the test(emt-basic national registrey) would be an under statement. I want to pass the test(Duh). If anyone could discribe the type of question on the test like what the test was heavy on and the over all dificulty of the exam. Also what is the hiring process like once u pass are their any additional test the ambulance companies will give u. What i am worried about also is hiring i just got out of high school half a year early and have not worked any where before but i have been a special olympics coach for one year and have be voluntering at a local college for 2 years do u think my lack of overall experience will hurt and do u think that my volunter hours will help i would like to work at rural metro at private ambulance company here in orlando florida I am 19. Any other information would be a great :eek:

O and do u think women like emts more than guys with regular jobs :p

5. fiznat

fiznat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hahahhahaha! That video actually made me laugh. I cant believe they put that much effort into that website-- pretty well done for an effort to recruit green EMTs. Wow. Maybe I'm just cynical about bieng an EMT, but jeez... is ANYONE's experience like that? Mine isnt, and I work in a major city for a very busy company.

Emt Wanb- Relax. The test isnt that hard at all. 150 questions multiple choice if I remember correctly? Bieng an EMT is NOT complicated, just remember your ABCs, C-Spine, SAMPLE/OPQRST, BSI (if they call it that where you are - gloves/mask etc), and when to call for help. They dont give EMTs very much autonomy for a reason, so know the basics and you will be perfectly fine.

6. jonb12997

jonb12997 I'm a doctor!!
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    also, what's a medical transport technician. Kinda a cool site, but very much like a military recruitment site... they don't mention the old ladies with fever from the nursing home at 3am. :)

7. sanford_w/o_son

5+ Year Member

i think it might have been a fancy term for medicar driver.

8. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Per their press release, the video that's shown on the web is actually a movie commercial. It's playing at the opening of various movies in more than 150 movie theatres across Pennsylvania.

9. Jambi

Jambi Caldari
    7+ Year Member

Don't be nervous, it's just a test ( I know, I know :p ) if you want an idea what's going to be on the test try here you should also be able to buy that book or a similar one at Barnes & Noble/Borders. Good Luck.

10. Jambi

Jambi Caldari
    7+ Year Member

As for the video...Ha Ha Ha. That was good for a laugh.

My Favorite part: No Doctors...No Hospitals...then the last scene was in a hospital, sweet!

11. Paramedic2617

Paramedic2617 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey,

My ex boss emailed me that link. I think that its a great marketing tool. Its not targeting us EMS folk. Its going after high school students so it works well. Do you ever see commercials that portray a product exactly how it is? Also, I think its great that the many EMS services got together to recruit instead of each one doing it on their own.

Herschel

12. fiznat

fiznat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Attracting new recruits under a false representation of what the job entails (and I think we all agree that this is a pretty huge exaggeration) equals newbies that get disenchanted and burnt out very quickly. I think EMS already has enough of those kind of folks.

Still, cool idea I suppose.

13. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What was misrepresented? Sure, not every call is a cardiac arrest or an emergency, but even EMT's get to see an emergency every once in a while!

14. sanford_w/o_son

5+ Year Member

An important issue is where the EMTs are going to be working. If it's a bigger city like Chicago (and this may go for Philadephia), they can expect to be doing private transports for at least a couple years before they get on the fire department (maybe sooner if they go to a suburban FD). They are likely not to see very many emergencies at all, and if they get a cardiac call or anything else as serious as what was in the film, then they either came across an incident or dispatch screwed up. But I understand this is very different in the rural areas.

Still, the basic mood of the film is a gross misrepresentation. "No doctors"/"no hospitals" goes against ideas of continuity of care and recognizing higher levels of care we learn in EMT class. But I guess in our individualist society the idea of working as part of a medical continuum in which you rely on others (through med control, upgrading, etc.) is thought to be some sign of weakness. Better to bait and switch.

I remember how cheated I felt the day in EMT class, about half-way through the course, when our instructor finally leveled with us: "Most of ya's are gonna be working on the privates coming out. you aren't going to deal with most of the stuff we've been talking about." I feel for the burnouts yet to come . . .

15. Paramedic2617

Paramedic2617 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In every system I have worked in, there was no doctor riding along with us on the truck ( i think that is the idea of that message). Yes, doctors are involved with what we do but we do most of our stuff in the field on our own. I've always thought it was cool that we can go out there and work patients to the level we do as a team of 2 or more. Most times we do the job of the nurse, doctor, tech and registrar. Now that may be why burnout happens. Not because we didnt get to see any "good" patients. Maybe the long hours. :) or the lack of pay. But that doesnt mean we shouldnt be recruiting.

16. Jambi

Jambi Caldari
    7+ Year Member

How's this for an "accurate portrayal," Keep the hopefuls up for say 24-36 hours, don't feed them, don't allow them to urinate (but give them plenty of coffee), then throw feces, vomit, and/or blood on them. :)

If they can make it through that and still want the job they're in! :laugh:

17. Med-tallica

Med-tallica Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Its funny, with the rock/rap music and flashy intro. I think it provides a little bit of a fantasized image, something that should be take more cautiously with career choices/professions in comparison to normal product marketing and what not..

18. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    This is being played in movie theatres, targeted at teens... Teens aren't the best at realizing it's only a fantasized image.

Having said that, I must say that my EMS experience was awesome. I really miss being on the ambulance. I loved every minute of it, and can't wait to get back into EMS as a medical director.