Flat Broke 'N Busted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheelsonfire

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else????????
I'm a college graduate and attempt to support myself working for the state as a microbiologist. At one time I had 2 jobs until I started applying(Best Buy Rules).
I applied to take the Oct PCAT late which was expensive. Each of the pharmacy schools I applied to were at least $100 in app fees. The 5 transcripts I had to order from each school I previously attended were another expense, not to mention the fancy stationary I used for my rec letters + stamps(I know, picky).
I realize that I am applying to a potentially lucrative profession. That's not my concern. I think I would be a pharmacist(God willing) even if I had to keep my current salary and remain in debt.
My question is........ is there a significant financial barrier to others who are applying? Has anyone else run into this problem? I know it's worth it. I've already gladly paid the money!! I just feel that everyone on this site has applied to so many schools and applicant financial concerns were not discussed as an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

My situation is so pathetic and long-winded I can't even talk about it, but yeah, I'm hurting financially. I'll be using nothing but loans to get me through pharmacy school.

freshbeatschris said:
My situation is so pathetic and long-winded I can't even talk about it, but yeah, I'm hurting financially. I'll be using nothing but loans to get me through pharmacy school.

Thanks Man, it's a relief to know someone is with me. I say, bring on the pharmacy school loans(Just let me into your pharmacy school).........based solely on my merits........ :) and not my financial situation. If I had the means to buy my way in, Lord knows I would, as well as the rest of us SDN'rs I suspect.

Members don't see this ad :)
wheelsonfire said:
Anyone else????????
I'm a college graduate and attempt to support myself working for the state as a microbiologist. At one time I had 2 jobs until I started applying(Best Buy Rules).
I applied to take the Oct PCAT late which was expensive. Each of the pharmacy schools I applied to were at least $100 in app fees. The 5 transcripts I had to order from each school I previously attended were another expense, not to mention the fancy stationary I used for my rec letters + stamps(I know, picky).
I realize that I am applying to a potentially lucrative profession. That's not my concern. I think I would be a pharmacist(God willing) even if I had to keep my current salary and remain in debt.
My question is........ is there a significant financial barrier to others who are applying? Has anyone else run into this problem? I know it's worth it. I've already gladly paid the money!! I just feel that everyone on this site has applied to so many schools and applicant financial concerns were not discussed as an issue.

I second that... financially it is very difficult to go through school especially on your own. During my undergrad this was the case. I worked part and full time during that time. After graduating I worked for a few research labs while going to school at night. I did it cause I wanted to learn and improve on what I didn't know. Now, I've chosen pharmacy.... so ... no your not alone. However, I have much more admiration for people like you. So... good luck... i will be rooting for you.

wheelsonfire said:
Anyone else????????

I've been wondering the same thing myself. It kind of boggles my mind that some people are applying to 10 or more schools. I am only applying to one school because it is the only one where I can get in-state tuition. While the cost to apply to several schools seems like a lot to me, it also matters to me how much the school itself is going to cost. I can't imagine paying close to $30,000/year for school. :eek: I'm going to have to take out loans and I already have undergrad loans. I want to be able to get out of debt before I die!

I also need to go to school somewhere sort of near my family - my grandparents are getting older and I really want to be nearby just in case anything happens to them. I also have to make sure that I go to school somewhere that my husband can get a job.

If I was a little younger and wasn't married I would probably apply to more schools - but as it is I have more than just me to think about :)

But I admire everyone that has the guts to apply to lots of schools and possibly move cross country - you guys rock!

Yes, I am struggling financially. I'm preparing to take on massive student loans. I'm going to have to move to another area to go to school and continue making mortgage payments on the home I live in now...either that or rent or sell it, both of which will be stressful and probably result in a net loss. My husband will have to leave a decent job here with insureance and find another one wherever we go... possibly will be out of work for a while in between...I feel your pain. I hope it's worth it, because this stress about money blows. :thumbdown:

Broke. broke. broke. :scared: I wouldn't mind a pharmacist's salary for a pharmacy student.... Then maybe I could afford myself and pharmacy school fees, application fees, tuition, rent, electric, water, cable, internet..... loans! *GULP* this thread is depressing me.

wheelsonfire said:
Anyone else????????

aomeone told me that using the Early admission process will help cut cost as the school will respond early, thus giving you the option of accepting admission(if offered) or still have time to apply elsewhere. This cuts cost because if you are accepted at one place you'll know early and this will save you money.

heaven said:
aomeone told me that using the Early admission process will help cut cost as the school will respond early, thus giving you the option of accepting admission(if offered) or still have time to apply elsewhere. This cuts cost because if you are accepted at one place you'll know early and this will save you money.
Thanks for turning the spirit of the thred around. I appreciate all of the responses and I feel better about my situation knowing there are others out there. I shouldn't post right after balancing my checkbook :)

I now use the dollar technique for food...I don't buy any food that costs over a dollar until my financial situation improves

Dollar Cookies
Dollar Sodas
Dollar Frozen Pizzas
Dollar Frozen Dinners
Dollar Canned Goods
etc etc

Thank goodness for loans.