flavor of the week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arctic Char

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, since my attitude for the week is one of tired, condescending laziness, and all i can think about is my fantasy backyard with my fantasy dog running to me, or kayaking some nice class 4, or fishing back home in alaska, my question is this:

who works less hours in a week: EM, or Anesthesiology?

Members don't see this ad.

MtMed said:
who works less hours in a week: EM, or Anesthesiology?

Anesthesia averages about 65 hours per week.

Maybe a better question would be "who works less hours, EM or the average employed American?" I'd bet we win...

Members don't see this ad :)
Most attendings I know work between 80 and 160 hours per month so yes less than 40 per week.

NinerNiner999 said:
Maybe a better question would be "who works less hours, EM or the average employed American?" I'd bet we win...

The average employed American frequently complains about "working 9-5". Rockstars who have everything at their disposal from cheeba to groupies whine about the rigors of the road. Professional athletes bitch about unfavorable contracts and complain about "grueling training". The majority of the workforce can look forward to weekends off and the option of sleeping during the night. In addition to that, whatever position the average worker ultimately ends up in, none require the massive investment of time and financial resources that are required of a physician. People don't try to sue the local Quick-E-Mart owner at the drop of a hat, and yet at the same time expect courtesy and service with a smile. Remember by the time we get to work our average 35 hours a week, most of us will have worked an average of over 50 for the past 11 years. My point is that the concept of "work" is very relative and I hope people do not become physicians believing they'll work less!

You know...when my family refers to my "flavor of the week" they usually aren't referring to my career choice ;).

Just a thought. And I'm bored. And I hate biochem. So that's why I'm posting :).

Flavor of the week.. Crepes with Nutella and bananas..