Flea and heartworm prevention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey All,

I would just like to echo Alliecat. I'm not sure it gets stressed to everyone the same way, but at The Ohio State University, it is incredibly stressed, that you can NOT make dosage changes like this. By taking doses that are made for an animal and changing them, putting them in new droppers, etc..., then you are repackaging!

According to the EPA, you cannot do this repackaging without getting a license from the EPA. And since most veterinarians do not have this license then you can NOT do this. Even in a shelter environment, this really isn't that great. I asked lots of questions on this subject when it came up in our class. That's why you now have to send a package insert when you just sell one dose of frontline, advantage, etc... now, because even that is considered repackaging!

Also, I would seriously caution telling people that you can split up a dog flea medication and give it to a cat. The premethrin's in the dog flea medication can be deadly to a cat. I work in a large practice in Columbus, and I see probably 5-10 cases a month, where someone was told that they could split up the dose for their cat, and they end up killing their cat or seriously harming it. These recommendations on this online forum worry me.

I'm sorry, but I just had to speak up here. There are lots of people who read these forums who won't understand and will act on the recommendations that seem to be bandied about here on this forum. As veterinarians, future veterinarians, and future veterinary students, we need to be cautious in what we post online, as it never really goes away and can cause serious harm if taken the wrong way by an animal owner.

Sorry, off my soap box now. Back to your regular program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Biomajir,

If you are already using Advantage Multi, the dog version is worth trying too. We use it on our dogs, and find it to be very effective, but it does have a strong medical odor.

Cheers,
3Hoozles

Anyone know which store (online or B&M) sells these preventative meds inexpensively?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey for anyone who hasn't tried it, our clinic is selling Trifexis in addition to all our others (advantage, advantix, advantage multi for cats, and interceptor). Trifexis does fleas and heartworm, it is essentially the same as comfortis + interceptor.

So far it's been working well, no hope for ticks though! I get my meds for free through our clinic rep and use sentinel plus advantix, figured for free I could spring a little extra for sentinel and I need the tick protection for sure!

For all of you considering which flea/tick/heartworm preventative is right for your pet, please consult your veterinarian.

This thread is edging close to medical advice and will be closed if that edge is reached....FYI. :)

Any opinions on Vectra? My clinic has just started selling this as an alternative to frontline and advantage. It's less expensive, topical, and made in the U.S. But I haven't heard a lot about it's efficacy.