Flexibility with pre-requisite courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymousanon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My hunch is that there's little flexibility, if at all, from medical schools with regard to the standard prerequisites (1 year bio, chem, o-chem, and physics, all with labs), but I was wondering if others might be able to confirm that?

My state school's prerequisites were defined rather loosely, so I chose to complete several grad courses in biology, rather than the intro sequence (couldn't get in as a non-matriculated student). Similar deal with chem, physics, biochem, etc.

Because I'm interested in neuroscience and have completed a fairly significant chunk of the grad. courses for that degree, I'd really prefer to continue along that track. It's worked out well, in my opinion, as it allows me to keep working full-time, and have most of my tuition paid for by my employer (not to mention the classes have been pretty awesome!).

If I need to now go back and take the intro. bio sequence + retake other prereqs (it's been a while...), I likely won't be able to work, and will be spending most of my savings on that coursework... A year of missed income (45k) + tuition (20k) seems like a pretty big financial consequence, but if it's what I need to do, then maybe I should just get it over with?

Alternatively, I've been considering a SMP, which I would hope would show adcoms that I could succeed in medical school setting, but would hate to have a bunch invested in that, if they'll refuse based on old / expired / skipped prereqs.

Anybody else in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.