Flexible residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering about flexible residency programs (in all specialties, but especially internal medicine). I've heard that some residencies are much more flexible than others - what does this mean exactly and which programs are they? Are there programs where you don't have the 80 hours week, but have more time to focus on individual interests (research, areas of interest etc.)I heard that the Brigham and Women's hospital program in MA is like this - are there others?

Any help in this matter would be appreciated....I'm looking for alternatives to traditional programs. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Each residency is slightly different with regards to free time, opportunities for 'alternative' electives, etc.

Some residencies will allow you to do a part-time position. This gives you a lot of free time but takes you much longer to complete your residency.

Some residencies don't work you as hard, especially Family Medicine, Psych, Pathology, etc. You may actually work 9-5 in many of your rotations.

Some, especially internal medicine, give you a lot of elective time, which allows you to mold your residency the way you like. Many will allow you to do research, administration or alternative medicine as electives.