FlexMed Essay Prompts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lychee8

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I'm a sophomore applying to FlexMed this year -- and I wanted some help analyzing my ideas for the essay prompts.

(1) In 300 words or less, please describe something in your life that has given you a great sense of personal, academic, or professional accomplishment.

I've been volunteering regularly at my local hospital with orthopedic inpatients. My role has been to restock materials and help nurses with patient care, but I've found that my greatest impact comes from doing unique things for patients that none of the other nurses had time to do (finding a patient's favorite drink at the cafeteria, helping them type an email on their phone, etc.).

I met one patient who initially was very apprehensive against staff but liked me as a volunteer. She had no visitors during her stay, and she called the nurse's station for the most random requests. In the end, she thanked me for accompanying her through what would've been a lonely stay, and I was so joyful to have impacted this woman's time in the hospital. I know it's not very "accomplishing," so I was wondering if an essay like this is OK and if I should mention anything here.

(2) In 300 words or less, please describe something in your life that has given you a great sense of personal, academic, or professional disappointment.

I wanted to talk about my difficulties with communication. My younger brother has autism, and I recognize how hard it is for him to communicate his feelings or wishes to us, and vice versa. Culturally, our family tends to suppress saying what we truly mean, and I believe that has impacted how much we understand each other.

I wanted to connect this idea to being a physician, and how imperative it is to be able to clearly communicate to patients, while patients can freely and openly voice their own concerns. Having seen these communication failures with the people close to me, I practice my own communication in an organization that serves my community by providing resources (housing, food, clothing, social work, etc) to those in need. These are all ideas I'd like to include but have difficulty connecting cohesively.

(3) In 400 words or less, describe your reason for pursuing a future career in medicine and then describe how FlexMed will change your educational plan. Please describe how you will use the flexibility afforded by FlexMed.

My "flex" factor is art/illustration, and I wanted to connect using illustration as a way of improving health literacy and accessibility. There are so many barriers to proper communication when it comes to health, and many patients leave the doctor's office confused, simply because they haven't had the proper background knowledge. I wanted to study/explore how illustration is being used (ex. instruction booklets) to support patients in understanding their own health.

______

I know all the essays tie back to "communication," and I don't want to be redundant in my ideas. I also don't know if my ideas are surface-level or not, so If you have any ideas, questions, or want to read my essays yourself please let me know:) Thanks for reading this far!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) this is highly dependent on your reviewer, but I would LOVE for your answer to this question to be about helping a patient be comfortable. Just my opinion, and I'm not a reviewer at the school that does flexmed

2) Great answer, you're working on it, communication issues result in a lot of patient deaths in the US. Just make sure not to make it sound like you're completely socially inept

3) This is fantastic

Reactions: 1 users